New Job Mechanical Plan Examiner 2/3 In Manitoba
|Mechanical Plan Examiner 2/3|
Mechanical Plan Examiner 2/3
Company : City of Winnipeg
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Manitoba
Under the general supervision of the Senior Plan Examiner, the Plan Examiner 2/3 will provide such functions individually or in combination:
- Screen plans for all building types (other than Housing).
- Examine plans (including specifications) for dwellings/small buildings.
- Examines plans (including specifications) for some complex systems in larger buildings, to ensure compliance with the various applicable by-laws, codes and regulations.
Positions at this level may be required to supervise and to provide training and development to junior staff and may be required to coordinate projects.
As the Mechanical Plan Examiner 2/3, you will:
- Examine and check plans and specifications of all building types to ensure compliance with the various applicable by-laws, codes and regulations.
- Prepare written reports and correspondence as required to convey information to designers, inspectors and others.
- Discuss plans with inspection staff and may perform inspections of installations with inspectors to ensure compliance.
- Organize and carry out assigned projects requiring coordination of plan examination functions with other Branches of the Division and with other areas of Plan Examination.
- Deal with architects and professional engineers, contractors, trades people, and the general public in matters related to the activities of the Branch.
- Participate in the development of, and amendments to codes on a local, provincial and national level and liaises with other City Departments and external authorities such as the Office of the Fire Commissioner, Department of Labour and other similar agencies.
- Supervise and provide training and development to plan examiners of lower classifications. Provide direction to permit technicians on technical matters
- Evaluate new construction techniques, materials and technology to ensure they comply with the requirements of the by-laws, codes and other regulations.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including acting as a Permit Technician as needed.
Your education and qualifications include:
- FOR PLAN EXAMINER 2 - Must hold a diploma in Engineering Technology (specialization stipulated as Mechanical Engineering Technology) or equivalent and four (4) years’ prior related work experience in mechanical drafting or design, project coordination or trade experience in commercial construction, including experience in applying the National Building Code. Experience with the Manitoba Building Code is an asset.
- FOR PLAN EXAMINER 3 – Must hold a diploma in Engineering Technology (specialization stipulated as Mechanical Engineering Technology) or equivalent and six (6) years’ prior related work experience in mechanical drafting or design, project coordination or trade experience in commercial construction including experience in applying the National Building Code. Experience with the Manitoba Building Code is an asset.
- Thorough knowledge of construction methods, materials and principles in the specialization stipulated by the Department.
- Thorough knowledge of all required by-laws, codes and regulations and knowledge of the Manitoba Building Code and other building regulations.
- Ability to read and interpret plans, blueprints and construction drawings.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and to interact effectively with staff and general public.
- Ability to interpret by-laws and convey this information to others.
- Ability to prepare concise and accurate reports and correspondence.
- Ability to prepare complex reports and propose recommendations.
- Ability to cross-train and apply various specializations in plan examination.
- Ability to organize and carry out assigned plan examination projects, prioritize workloads, meet deadlines, and work under pressure.
- Ability to be a positive and constructive member of a team and to work independently.
- IMPORTANT: Applicants who have been educated outside of Canada must have education which is comparable to the minimum qualification in Canada. Applicants submitting foreign credentials require an official academic assessment report issued by a recognized Canadian assessment service https://www.canalliance.org/en/ at application.
Conditions of employment:
- The successful applicant must maintain legal eligibility to work in Canada. If the successful applicant possesses a work permit, it is their responsibility to ensure the permit remains valid.
- A Police Information Check satisfactory to the employer will be required from the successful candidate, at their expense. To obtain Police Information Check information please visit www.winnipeg.ca/police.
- Must possess a Certified Engineering Technologist certification.
- The successful applicant(s) will be required to provide CSA approved personal protective safety boots (six (6) inches above the ankle) at their own expense.