New Job Cook In Ontario
Health Services - Long Term Care
1 Regular Part Time Position - 32 hours per pay period
$29.48 to $31.34/hour
Who We Are: The Long-Term Care Division requires staff to provide person-centered care to our residents and families following the Butterfly Model of Care. This will ensure high levels of emotional wellbeing and a better quality of life for those living in our homes. Staff are to have emotional intelligence ability to deliver person-centered care in an authentic way that is meaningful to the resident and their family.
We are looking for an exceptional Cook that brings excellent customer service to our residents and families, passion and care to the work they do.
What you'll be doing:
- Prepare, cook and/or plan menu items as per posted menu and food production schedules
- Directs Dietary Aides in the absence of the supervisor
- Assists in the purchasing, receiving and storage of food and supplies and maintains food records as required
- Understands basic nutrition, special diets, and food safety
- Follows Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) principles
- Reports Health and Safety hazards
- Maintains good relationships with the residents, staff, volunteers, and visitors
What we're looking for:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Graduate of a recognized cooking program from an accredited college or trade school
- Red Seal (Cook 2) Certificate of Qualification provided by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities as outlined in The Apprenticeship and Certification Act would be considered an asset
- Must be willing to complete the Food Safety Certification course, as offered by the Public Health Division
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience in quantity/batch cooking as well as fine plating presentation in an institutional or commercial kitchen
- Must have effective oral and written communication skills
- Must be able to communicate appropriately with residents, staff, volunteers and visitors
- Must be able to direct staff in the absence of the Dietary Services Supervisor
- Must be able to participate in the preparation and implementation of a cyclical menu
- Working knowledge of computers applications such as MS Office is required
- Must be physically able to perform all delegated duties
- Long Term Care experience considered an asset
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through continuous development, modeling inclusive behaviors, and proactively managing bias
Location: Vera Davis, LTC - 80 Allan Drive, Bolton (this location is not accessible via public transportation)
Hours of Work: 32 hours per pay period - 8:30 am to 4:30 pm - every other Thursday and Tuesday and every other weekend and Holidays
Perks @ Peel and why you will love working for us:
- % in lieu of benefits
- Automatic enrolment into OMERS pension plan (where applicable)
- Supportive leadership and a culture of respect and inclusion
- Access to tuition reimbursement (where applicable) and learning and development resources
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online.
Interview: Our recruitment process will be completed with video conference technology.
Please note: Successful candidates hired to work within any of The Region of Peel’s Long Term Care Homes are required to provide the following information prior to hire:
- Vulnerable Sector Police Check
- TB Skin Testing
- It is the responsibility of the successful candidate to pay for any associated costs of the above noted checks
As part of the Region’s ongoing commitment to health and safety, there are enhanced Covid-19 specific safety protocols and/or personal protective equipment requirements (e.g. masks, eye protection, etc.) in place to help protect health and safety. The additional requirements are determined based on the nature of the work being carried out.
Our workforce is 6,500 strong and since 1974, we’ve been delivering a wide range of resident focused services. Our services include paramedic services, health programs, long-term care and services for seniors, child care support, garbage collection and recycling, waste water and water treatment, road maintenance, financial assistance, and housing support.
Recognized by Canada's Healthy Workplace Month® with the Great Employer Award presented by Excellence Canada, the Region of Peel is a place where everyone feels they belong. We strive to develop a workplace that values and respects diversity, practices inclusion, recognizes the unique contributions and abilities of all people and facilitates innovative thinking. At Region of Peel, people come first. Each employee has an important role within our community and when we work together, it’s impactful. We encourage you to join us in delivering essential services and programs to our diverse community. You won't find a better opportunity than the Region of Peel.
The Region of Peel is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process, upon request. If you require accommodation please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. Accessible formats and communication supports are available. Please contact [email protected].
Please be advised, the Region of Peel uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the position and your application will be removed from the competition.