New Job Cook In British Columbia
Requisition ID: 38167
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Cook is central to the production of three meals a day in an operation, which provides meals 365 days per year for the Gathering Place and the New Continental seniors centre. The incumbent participates in maintaining an environment that works to support nutritious food habits, food safe practices, patron satisfaction, and a safe and healthy workplace.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Planning and preparing meals and other food items on a large scale including entrees, soups, salads, desserts, snacks and catering;
- Training, assigning work, managing performance issues, reviewing and overseeing the work of kitchen volunteers, many of whom have socioeconomic difficulties, mental health or physical disabilities and/or addiction difficulties and may require considerable supervision;
- Supervising staff (Kitchen Attendants) including: training, assigning work, and managing performance issues for and reviewing the work of staff; appreciating different perspectives and adapting supervisory strategies accordingly;
- Assisting to plan menus for a rotational menu, including menus for people with special needs e.g. HIV, diabetes, vegetarian-based on sound nutritional principles;
- Ensuring appropriate use, care and cleaning of kitchen equipment and utensils by Kitchen Attendants and volunteers;
- Receiving and storing food according to the department’s food storage and inventory procedures;
- Submitting requirements for food, kitchenware and related supply orders;
- Ensuring compliance with food safety, sanitation and cleaning standards and procedures related to the incumbent’s job, including monitoring and training staff (Kitchen Attendants) and volunteers;
- Ensuring compliance with occupational health and safety standards and procedures related to the incumbent’s job for self and staff and volunteers the incumbent supervises;
- Communicating and managing conflicts effectively with other staff, volunteers and patrons, and encouraging two-way discussions; dealing with conflict in a “conflict-positive” manner and with addressing issues with respect, firmness and tact;
- Providing/preparing verbal and written reports and work plans, and completing food service records;
- Using computers and online/internet applications for functions necessary to the incumbent’s job (e.g. to communicate by email, order supplies, etc.);
- Other related duties as assigned (e.g. food service point of sale system/cash register).
- Experience as a cook in a commercial kitchen of a comparable size and experience with large scale/volume meal production or an equivalent combination of training and experience;
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12
- Current and valid FoodSafe Level 1 certificate
- Cooking certificate or diploma from a recognized institution
- 2 years+ experience cooking in a commercial kitchen environment is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Sound working knowledge of methods and equipment involved in meal planning, food preparation, cooking;
- Sound working knowledge of the care, use and cleaning of kitchen equipment and utensils;
- Some knowledge of the nutritional values of foods;
- Working knowledge of food safety risks and preventive measures related to food preparation and service;
- Working knowledge of occupational health and safety hazards and preventive measures in a food service environment;
- Some experience working directly with and understanding of socially and economically vulnerable populations is preferred;
- Some experience working with, supervising and training volunteers is preferred;
- Some experience developing recipes and/or planning menus is preferred;
- Experience handling cash and operating a point of sale system/cash register is an asset;
- Ability to supervise / provide direction to staff;
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment;
- Ability to keep records and submit reports in a food services environment;
- Ability to work with the public and resolve customer service issues in a respectful, tactful and effective manner;
- Ability to work in a physically demanding position that requires the ability to work for several hours at a time under deadlines, standing in a warm environment.
A Police Record Check clearance is required for this position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Arts, Culture and Community Services (1200)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: May 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-014: $25.86 to $30.29 per hour
Application Close: April 23, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.