New Job Bridge Worker In Ontario
Job ID: 36318
Job Category: Operations & Maintenance
Division & Section: Transportation Services, Operations Maintenance
Work Location: 7 Leslie Street
Job Type & Duration: Full-time, 3 Permanent, 2 Temporary (12 months) vacancies
Hourly Rate: $34.16
Hours & Shift Information: Monday to Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m, 40 hours per week
Affiliation: L416 Outside
Number of Positions Open: 5
Posting Period: 14-Apr-2023 to 28-Apr-2023
- Performs construction and maintenance work on concrete, steel and wooden bridges. Uses a variety of hand and power tools, heavy and related equipment
- Makes repairs to bridges. Cleans and paints steel bridges. Safeguards bridges during flood conditions
- Reads plans and drawings
- Performs assorted shop duties
- Operates equipment such as dump trucks, pickup trucks, etc. Maintains equipment and vehicles on a daily basis and makes minor repairs
- May be required to perform maintenance work on subways such as washing and sandblasting walls, concrete, replacing metal canopies, etc.
- Loads concrete, asphalt, etc. into truck
- Performs annual inspection on bridges and prepares the reports
- Performs other duties at this wage grade level or lower such as labouring type duties, maintenance and cleaning activities when not operating assigned vehicle or equipment
- Completes reports (e.g., Driver’s Collision/Incident Report) related to assigned duties and responsibilities
- Performs snow removal operation on bridges utilizing mechanical snow removal equipment
- Performs work in a safe, efficient and courteous manner
- Performs other related work as assigned
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Experience in the repair of bridges and the use of asphalt and concrete.
- Experience in rigging scaffolding and working from ladders and staging over open spaces at varying heights.
- Experience in sandblasting, structural framework, carpentry, welding including oxy-acetylene, arc and mig.
- Must possess a valid Province of Ontario, Class "G" Driver’s License and must have or shall be required to obtain required City permit for assigned vehicle(s) and equipment(s).
- Must possess and be able to obtain and maintain a valid Province of Ontario, Class "D" Driver’s License with "Z" endorsement and must have or shall be required to obtain required City permit for assigned vehicle(s) and equipment(s) within 6 months of offer of employment.
You must also have:
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties and capable of working at heights and must be able to work in all weather conditions.
- Knowledge of culverts, fixed bridges, multi-span structures, pre-stressed and post tensioned bridges.
- Knowledge of asphalt, concrete, corrosion protection, waterproofing, reinforcing steel and structural steel.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to conduct and document the annual visual bridge inspection within the District.
- Must be familiar with requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations for the safe performance of his/her duties and responsibilities or capable of obtaining familiarity of same.
- Knowledge of and ability to perform minor maintenance on equipment and to maintain equipment/vehicle in a clean, tidy and safe condition.
- May be required to do overtime and shift work.
- Ability to deal courteously with the public.
- Ability to use or learn to use various technical devices related to the position.
- Ability to communicate in relation to their job duties
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.