|Renewable Resource Officer III|
Renewable Resource Officer III
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $100,000–$119,000 a year
Location : Northwest Territories
The mandate of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources is to promote and support the sustainable use and development of natural resources, and to protect, conserve, and enhance the NWT environment for the social and economic benefit of all NWT residents.
Located in Hay River, and reporting to the Manager, Wildlife and Environment, this position is responsible for the management, delivery and administration of all departmental programs and services relating to natural resource management programs throughout the entire region. This includes wildlife management and enforcement activities, environmental monitoring, forest harvesting, and fire management. This position supervises full time, seasonal and casual staff and the management of fixed assets.
Some of the knowledge, skills and abilities required for the position are:
- Technical writing skills and verbal skills to communicate departmental positions on resource management issues and matters to stakeholders;
- Management experience and skills to plan, organize and coordinate multiple and divergent activities with other government and non-government organizations;
- Human resource management and supervision skills to oversee staff;
- Knowledge of basic renewable resource management, forest and fire management philosophy and techniques;
- Knowledge of resource harvesting techniques and activities in the region;
- Knowledge of wildlife populations in the region including seasonal movement, habitat, reproduction cycles and community use of key species.
Typically the above qualifications would be attained by:
Graduation from a recognized two year College Diploma program (e.g. Renewable Resource Management Technology) or similar advanced vocational program and 5 years progressively more responsible experience in the renewable resource sector with related management and administration experience.
Living and working on the land in isolated conditions with experienced people to provide the training and experience necessary for living and training in all seasons and conditions.
Hay River HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
209 62 WOODLAND DRIVE
HAY RIVER, NT X0E 1G1
Tel (867) 875-8086
Note: If you do not receive electronic notification confirming receipt of your application, please follow up via telephone.