New Job By-Law Enforcement In Ontario
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $42.44 an hour
Location : Ontario
To be considered for this position, applicants must possess the following minimum qualifications:
- Secondary School Graduation Diploma
- Post-secondary education in police foundations, law and security, public safety or equivalent combination
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience, preferably in municipal government
- Valid Ontario Driver’s License in good standing
- Certified Municipal Law Enforcement Officer from the Municipal Law Enforcement Officers’ Association (MLEOA)
- Property Standards Officer certification.
- Superior verbal and written communication, interpersonal and customer service skills; must be comfortable interacting with the public and demonstrated competency in de-escalation, mediation and conflict resolution and working collaboratively with community partners/stakeholders.
- Excellent time management and organization skills; ability to prioritize multiple demands and re-adjust priorities, and address challenges as they arise
- Good understanding of municipal government, its operations and services
- Good knowledge of municipal law enforcement, investigations, litigation practices and procedures
- Good knowledge of provincial statutes, regulations, and local by-laws
- Experience as an enforcement officer in a municipal setting or other government agency would be considered an asset
- Good MS Office skills
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Enforcing with the use of established procedures, City of Woodstock By-laws commonly found in the Municipal Code including but not limited to traffic, signs, licensing, portions of zoning, noise, animals and property standards
- Parking enforcement including but not limited to downtown, school zones, overnight parking and specified times and places.
- The by-law officer will work closely with the customer service team to ensure consistency and appropriate resolution to customer complaints, concerns, and enquiries.
- Directing complaints not within their jurisdiction, to appropriate departments and agencies.
- Uses established procedures, attends site visits, gathering evidence, talking to witnesses and Police.
- Attending the Provincial Offences Court as required and to present evidence.
- Working with bylaw complaint software and parking software
- Ensures parking equipment is readily available and in good working order.
- Maintains records of all investigations including a By-law Occurrence Report, any photographs taken, copies of registered letters sent, and dates of the inspections and performs related record keeping.
- Assists in the preparation of new by-laws and public notices educating the public of the existence, content and intent of by-laws and the City’s policy on enforcement.
- Assists in providing information, research, and support for the creation of amendments to municipal by-laws, traffic by-laws and the setting of fines and short-form process under the Provincial Offences Act.
- Assists with the City of Woodstock parking enforcement system by investigating complaints, ensuring parking ticket administration and collection proceedings are being maintained through use of the MTO- ARIS program, appropriate court filings and parking software.
- Works continually with the public, has contact with the City Solicitor, Registry Office, various police agencies and other Municipal Departments and Court Offices.
- Appointed as a Municipal By-law Enforcement Officer and Property Standards Officer for the City of Woodstock.
- Responds to inquiries, investigates complaints, and enforces the City of Woodstock’s Property Standards By-law. Refers sensitive, complex, or escalating matters to the Manager of Building and Facilities.
- Performs property compliance inspections.
- Works with minimal supervision.
- Performs other duties as assigned from time to time.
Salary rate is $36.11 – $42.44 per hour as per Schedule "A" of the collective agreement.
Resumes and cover letters will be received online at http://careers.cityofwoodstock.ca no later than 4:00 p.m April 7, 2023
The City of Woodstock is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
We thank all candidates who apply, but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.