|Postdoctoral Fellow for Safe Marine Operations during the Digital Transformation|
Postdoctoral Fellow for Safe Marine Operations during the Digital Transformation
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $74,230 a year
Location : Newfoundland and Labrador
NRC is seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow to carry out research towards the development of autonomous ship technologies for navigation in ice. As autonomous technologies are introduced on ships, the role of humans will change and new challenges will emerge. It is imperative to demonstrate that autonomous ships are at least as safe as conventional ships. Canada and other Arctic nations have a particular interest in autonomous operations in harsh environments (e.g. sea ice).
The Postdoctoral Fellow will join an established project team comprised of NRC researchers and professors and graduate students at Memorial University of Newfoundland. Using ship bridge simulators, the project team will provide evidence-based assessments on the efficacy of decision-support technologies in terms of human-centred safety and ship performance in ice. The successful Postdoctoral Fellow will be given the opportunity to develop autonomous decision-support tools, plan, execute, and analyze experimental results with a focus on human-centred safety, and disseminate research outcomes in high impact journals.
Ph.D. in ocean and naval architectural engineering, human factors engineering, computer science, or a closely related field.
For information on certificates and diplomas issued abroad, please see Degree equivalency
Experience with human factors research in the maritime domain would be an asset.
Information on language requirements and self-assessment tests
Condition of Employment
Who is eligible?
- Fellowships will be for two years contingent on satisfactory progress achieved during the first year.
- Candidates should have obtained a PhD (or equivalent) within the past three years (PhD received on or after July 1, 2020) or expect to complete their PhD within 6 months of appointment.
- Fellows will work in a lab under the direct supervision of an NRC researcher.
In order to be considered for the program please include the following in your application, please note that you will need to attach the required documents as per the list below when submitting your application. Failure to do so will result in your application being excluded from searches.
- Statement of Interest in the project (maximum one page in length)
- PhD Transcript - an electronic copy is sufficient, it does not have to be an official version.
- List of Publications
When submitting your application you can include the required documents in any attachment field such as «Second language evaluation results» or «Other attachments»
In addition, applicants who best meet the requirements of the position will be asked to provide three letters of recommendation at a later stage of the competition process.
Relocation assistance will be determined in accordance with the NRC's directives.
The intent of this hiring action is to staff through the Postdoctoral Fellowships Program at the RCO-2/AsRO level, which is an early-career level position with a salary range of $74,230 to $103,093.
NOTE: Salary determination will be based on a review of the candidate’s expertise, outcomes and impacts of their previous work experience relative to the requirements of the level. As a guide, the current annual PhD recruiting rate is $74,230.
NRC employees enjoy a wide-range of competitive benefits including comprehensive health and dental plans, pension and insurance plans, vacation and other leave entitlements.
- Fellowships are open to nationals of all countries, although preference will be given to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada. Please include citizenship information in your application.
- The incumbent must adhere to safe workplace practices at all times.
- We thank all those who apply, however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please direct your questions, with the requisition number (18922) to:
E-mail: [email protected]
Closing Date: 27 March 2023 - 23:59 Eastern Time