New Job Operations Coordinator In Nova Scotia
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $5,716–$7,145 a month
Location : Nova Scotia
Department: Natural Resources & Renewables
Type of Employment: Permanent
Union Status: Exclusion - Non Union - NSPG
Closing Date: 2/28/2023 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
Nova Scotia is rich in natural resources – including biodiversity, forests, geological resources, provincial parks and the land we manage. The Department of Natural Resources & Renewables is responsible for the development, management, conservation and protection of forest, mineral, parks and wildlife resources and the administration of the province's Crown land. Together we are working with Nova Scotians to build a better future through sustainable natural resource management as we all benefit from the natural health and wealth of the province.
About Our Opportunity
As Operations Coordinator, you will be a vital member of the Regional Management Team and report to the Area Manager. The work you do will help us achieve our Departmental objectives for program delivery across the Province. Programs to be delivered include geology, forest protection, parks and outdoor recreation, land administration, private and crown land management, wildlife, and field reports for integrated resource management.
As the Operations Coordinator you will assist the area manager with the overall delivery or provision of either a single service or group of common services including the development, monitoring, and adherence to operational procedures and standards, hiring, selection, scheduling and performance management.
The Department of Natural Resources & Renewables is seeking a dynamic Operations Coordinator to lead program delivery. Through the effective leadership of staff and resources, you will be responsible for the efficient delivery of Department Programs including the management of staff and associated budgets.
Some of the primary accountabilities in this role include:
- Delivering outcomes by coordinating projects with others and working within established systems.
- Implement the delivery of department programs such as Crown Land Management, Crown Land Administration, forest fire prevention and suppression, wildlife studies, biological studies, insects and diseases, park operation, public liaison and education etc; respond to wildfires as directed by the Area Manager.
- Monitoring of resources through effective communication and performance management to enhance department program delivery.
- Providing input into the development of procedures for an area within the department, then monitoring the implementation of those procedures.
- Ensuring appropriate quality and risk management processes are followed, and suggesting improvements in current processes, systems, and procedures.
- Delivering a plan for internal communications with guidance from senior colleagues.
Qualifications and Experience
Typically, ideal candidates will have a Department recognized two-year Lands and Forestry technical diploma along with 5 years of related experience in resource management, including administration and leadership roles; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Frequent travel across the province is a component of this position; as such, a valid driver’s license is required.
As the ideal candidate you have previous experience:
- Building a high performing team, ensuring the team is focused, motivated, and inspired to achieve team objectives.
- Providing guidance and training to others on planning, organizing, prioritizing, and overseeing activities to meet operational objectives.
- Managing projects and/or programs through the departments work plan to ensure they meet the desired cost, time, and quality parameters.
You possess exceptional communication (written/verbal/active listening) and relationship building skills to maintain frequent contact with management, senior offices as well as with supervisory and technical staff. With strong time management skills, you can manage, track, and attend to multiple pieces of information, bringing order and clarity.
Leadership competencies required at this level of work are:
Analytical Thinking, Action Management, Team Leadership, Initiative, Effective Interactive Communication, Partnering and Relationship Building, and Intercultural and Diversity Proficiency.
We will assess the above qualifications and competencies using one or more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks.
Equivalency includes, but is not limited to:
- A bachelors degree in Natural Science with 3 years of related experience.
Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Based on the employment status and Union agreement, the Government of Nova Scotia offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs. Click here to learn more about our various benefits offerings and eligibility criteria.
Working in varying conditions and uneven terrain is a requirement of this position.
What We Offer
- Career development where you have access to career guidance, tools, resources, and ongoing training for every stage of your career.
- Engaging workplace: our employees feel valued, respected, connected, and tuned in, we have forward-thinking policies and strategies.
- Countless career paths.
- Department specific flexible working schedules.
Pay Grade: EC 10
Salary Range: $2,858.01 - $3,572.52 Bi-Weekly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
Current government employees may access this posting through the link below:
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to [email protected].