|Labourer 1 - Site Maintenance|
Labourer 1 - Site Maintenance
Company : City of Edmonton
Salary : $22.07–$30.61 an hour
Location : Alberta
The Edmonton Waste Management Centre (EWMC) is a unique collection of waste processing and research facilities. Owned and operated by the City of Edmonton, the EWMC is an integral part of Edmonton's sustainable approach to waste management. We are looking for people across all our rich diversity to join the EWMC’s family as a Labourer I, where you will provide general labouring support around the site. Your success in this role will be measured by your ability to perform all work tasks in a respectful and inclusive way.
With a focus on the City of Edmonton’s Cultural Commitments to Safe, Helpful, Accountable, Integrated and Excellent, you will:
- General cleaning of the site, including snow removal, litter picking and sweeping
- Lawn maintenance using grass trimmers and push/ride-on mowers
- Vegetation management, including weed control operations using mechanical and cultural methods; hand pulling; and applying pesticides in accordance with provincial legislation and City standards
- Site maintenance, including pruning, edging, fence and repair, pressure washing and watering
- Maintenance and minor repairs on powered equipment, including push mowers and riding tractors
- Use tools such as shovels, rakes, stake pounders and various small hand/electric tools
- Other related duties as required
- Completion of Grade 10 or equivalent or higher; Grade 12 or higher is an asset
- Knowledge of safety and environmental precautions in small engine operation, including push mowers and riding tractors
- Experience operating equipment such as push lawn mowers, trimmers, edgers and other relevant tools is an asset
- Communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to understand and provide verbal and written instructions
- Ability to perform heavy manual labour for extended periods of time under various weather conditions, including bending and lifting up to 50 lbs
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Successful candidates will be fit for a respirator, and compliance with the City of Edmonton's Code of Practice for Respiratory Protective Equipment, including medical monitoring, is a requirement of this position
- Valid Alberta Class 5 drivers Licence (or provincial equivalent). Obtaining and maintaining a City Drivers Permit is a requirement of this position. Successful candidates may be asked to provide a driver's abstract
- Applicants may be tested
- Demonstrate alignment with the Cultural Commitments of Safe, Helpful, Accountable, Integrated and Excellent, fostering an environment for others to do the same. For more information on the City’s Cultural Commitments, please visit edmonton.ca/our-culture
- Demonstrate the foundational competencies, key behaviours and attributes of the City’s six leadership competencies: Courage, Inclusivity, Values-Based Influencer, Collaborative Networker, Systems Thinker and Creative Innovator. For more information on the City’s leadership competencies, please visit edmonton.ca/our-culture
At the City of Edmonton - City Operations, we strive to help our people achieve their professional and personal goals through an inclusive environment that values everyone’s contributions, appreciates the diversity of thought, fosters growth and provides continuous opportunities for development.
The City of Edmonton is committed to inclusive, respectful and equitable workplaces that represent the communities we serve. We continuously improve our systems, policies and practices to remove barriers and ensure our employees, in all their diversity, can succeed. We value applicants with a diverse range of skills, experiences and competencies, and encourage you to apply. To learn more, see the Art of Inclusion: Our Diversity and Inclusion Framework here: https://bit.ly/3hd2d95.
The City of Edmonton strives to provide reasonable access and accommodations throughout the application and selection process. If you would like to request an accommodation at any stage of the process, please contact [email protected]
COVID-19 Notice: The City of Edmonton has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Employees who cannot be fully vaccinated on the basis of a protected legal ground (e.g. medical, religious) may request an exemption. Please note that this policy applies to all employees, including new hires, and volunteers. If your application is successful, you will be asked to provide proof of vaccination or request an exemption.
For more information, please refer to our COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (bit.ly/3lKwb6j) and COVID-19 Vaccination Procedure (bit.ly/39BICMt)
Successful candidates may be eligible for recall in the 2024 season
Up to 4 temporary full-time positions for up to 11 months
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week, Sunday - Saturday.
Salary: $22.072 - $30.606 (Hourly)
Talent Acquisition Consultant: NC/SG