Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $31.10–$38.86 an hour
Location : Prince Edward Island
The PEI Department of Agriculture and Land aims to encourage the development of an innovative, diverse and inclusive workforce which enables the organization to realize its goals.
The Laboratory Agronomist is responsible for agronomic extension and support to clients of the PEI Analytical Laboratory (PEIAL) agricultural testing analyses and reports, as well as continued research and analysis of agricultural results and ongoing development of testing at the PEI Analytical Laboratory. The key objectives of this position are to work with farmers and agronomists and consult on testing services and implementation of beneficial management practices on-farm based on analytical results, that will in turn help improve overall farm productivity, maintain net crop returns, while also minimizing nutrient impacts on the environment.
Duties will include:
- Provide direct advising, interpretation and recommendations for agricultural reports (soil, tissue, special amendment, feed, soil health analyses, dairy, etc.) from the PEI Analytical Laboratory (PEIAL) for farm clients;
- Provide counsel on agronomic testing inquiries for industry testing programs and research studies requiring analytical services;
- Establish crop management recommendations and considerations for Prince Edward Island agronomy sector, and analyze research data from research trials established to test beneficial management practices;
- Establish optimal ranges and thresholds for plant tissue, feed, and soil testing parameters for agricultural crops and maintain up to date annual reports and publications for producers for common agricultural testing services to analyze analytical trends;
- Advise producers, industry organizations and departmental/interdepartmental working groups on current analytical testing services and beneficial management practice funding programs within the Department of Agriculture and Land;
- Completing field work including, but not limited to, soil sampling, plant sampling and work with nutrient management technician and casual staff/students on nutrient management related fiel, lab work, and research activities;
- Inform clients on correct testing and sampling protocols and benefits of testing analyses;
- Work with the PEI Analytical Laboratory and provide input on reporting format for agricultural reports and submission form layout, for producer ease of use;
- Work with the Nutrient Management Specialist, Soil Health Development Coordinator and PEI Analytical Lab staff on the development and updating of soil nutrient, special products, feed and soil health testing parameters;
- Work with Departmental Soil Health Specialists on development and updating of soil health testing requirements within the Soil Health Improvement Plan program;
- Report agricultural research information to the agricultural sector through factsheets, reports, and presentations;
- Ensure needs of agricultural clients are assessed through PEIAL analyses by conducting annual client reviews.
- Degree (Master of Science) in Agriculture with an emphasis in plant science or soil science with considerable experience working in agronomy.
Degree (Bachelor of Science) in Agriculture with an emphasis in plant science or soil science with extensive experience working in agronomy.
- Must be eligible for a professional agrologist designation;
- Experience in computer applications including Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel;
- Must have excellent skills in written and oral communication, organization and extension practices;
- Must have strong interpersonal and teamworking skills.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Demonstrated equivalencies may be considered.
- The successful applicant must provide a satisfactory Criminal Records Check prior to beginning employment.
- Experience using laboratory information management systems is an asset
- Experience using GIS software or databases is an asset;
- A certificate in Nutrient Management Planning is an asset.
Note: Please ensure the application clearly demonstrates how you meet the noted qualifications as applicants will be screened based on the information provided. The successful candidate will be the only individual receiving written notification of competition results. The “Notification of Successful Candidates” list posted on the Employment Opportunity board will serve to inform all other applicants of competition results.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $31.10-$38.86 per hour
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Language training provided
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Wellness program
Flexible Language Requirement:
- French not required
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Charlottetown, PE: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Bachelor's Degree (required)
Work Location: One location
Application deadline: 2023-02-14