New Job Mountain Rescue Technician In Alberta
|Mountain Rescue Technician|
Mountain Rescue Technician
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $35.81–$40.75 an hour
Location : Alberta
Job Requisition ID: 36372
Ministry: Forestry, Parks and Tourism
Full or Part-Time: Full Time Seasonal
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Closing Date: January 27, 2023
Classification: Safety and Compliance 1
The Government of Alberta is committed to a diverse and inclusive public service that reflects the population we serve to best meet the needs of Albertans. Consider joining a team where diversity, inclusion and innovation are valued and supported.
Provincial Parks are essential to the quality of life that Albertans enjoy. They conserve our natural landscapes and wildlife habitat, and offer a broad range of nature-based outdoor recreational opportunities. Alberta’s parks inspire people to discover, value, protect, and enjoy the natural world and the benefits it provides for current and future generations.
For more information on Park locations visit:
This position will assist Kananaskis Mountain Rescue staff with day-to-day operations as part of the Parks Operations Program.
Duties will include: Emergency incident response, leading staff training sessions, participating in peer training opportunities and assisting Conservation Officers on an as needed basis.
To be successful in this role, you will also demonstrate very strong written and verbal communication skills. The job is also physically demanding and will require you to have good physical stamina.
Overall, the position helps keep Albertans safe and helps foster an exceptional visitor experience. If you are looking to be part of a dynamic and exciting mountain rescue team, this may be the job for you!
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma, completion of a training program and certification plus 2 years related experience
Other requirements that are mandatory:
- Valid Alberta Class 4 or 5 Drivers License
- Apprentice Alpine Guide and/or Apprentice Ski Guide, and current Association of Canadian Mountain Guides (ACMG) Professional Membership. Preference may be given to candidates with higher levels of certification.
- Current Wilderness First Aid (80hr) and CPR/AED
- Swift-water rescue certification and experience
- Work experience in an emergency setting (front-country or back-country)
- Training and experience in helicopter Class D fixed line operations
- Incident Command System 100 or higher
- Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) and boat experience
- Strong, confident and balanced decision making skills & mountain sense combined with strong leadership skills
- An ability to function in a high stress, dynamic, and fast paced work environment
Competencies are behaviors that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process.
This link will assist you with understanding competencies:
Agility- You will identify, and support others to identify alternative approaches or courses of action in unclear and complex situations.
Drive for Results- You have the ability to implement and support new or modified approaches, practices and processes in the organization.
Develop Self and Others- You will demonstrate change leadership and coaching skills and support staff reporting to Public Safety Specialist to navigate change effectively.
Build Collaborative Environments- You will create an environment for teamwork and collaboration with other departments, stakeholders and agencies.
Develop Networks- You will support organizational strategy which build and sustain a high performance work place and foster positive relationship with stakeholders.
Systems Thinking- You will seek to understand a range of stakeholder perspectives and how they are interrelated.
Creative Problem Solving- You will find ways to improve complex systems or structures to better meet goals and outcomes.
$ 35.81 – $$40.75 per hour
Wage employees receive 11.2% in addition to regular wage earnings in lieu of benefits and vacation leave.
- 5.2 percent of regular wage earnings instead of paid holidays
- 6 percent of regular wage earnings instead of annual vacation pay
Terms of Employment:
- Seasonal summer / fall employment from approximately April to Oct 2023.
- A typical working day is 8 hours (8:00am-4:30pm) based on 36.25 hours per week.
- On-call shifts may be expected. These are typically from 4:30pm to the following start of shift (8:00am). There is on-call pay.
- The position is based in Canmore.
- Travel is required; use of Government of Alberta vehicle.
- There are no accommodations based on-site.
NOTE: In your resume:
- Include date ranges (month and year) associated with all education and work experience
- Indicate whether your work experience was casual, part-time (PT) or full-time (FT)
- Example: Legal Assistant: Jan 2016 – June 2019 (PT 3 eight hour shifts per week)
How To Apply
If you are not currently an employee with the Government of Alberta, the first step in applying for a job is creating your candidate profile within our online application system,
Existing employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application in order to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Once you have created your candidate profile, visit the Alberta Public Service job site to apply for jobs at
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
Resources for applicants:
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies, across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting or a copy of the role profile, and/or require a disability related accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact Diana Sidon at [email protected].
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check