New Job Heavy Equipment Technician 1 (Shop) In Alberta
|Heavy Equipment Technician 1 (Shop)|
Heavy Equipment Technician 1 (Shop)
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $43.20–$47.85 an hour
Location : Alberta
If you are committed to public service, enjoy collaborating with others, share our values and have a desire to learn and grow, join The City of Calgary . City employees deliver the services, run the programs and operate the facilities which make a difference in our community. We support work-life balance, promote physical and psychological safety, and offer competitive wages, pensions, and benefits . Together we make Calgary a great place to make a living, a great place to make a life.
The City is committed to fostering a respectful, inclusive and equitable workplace which is representative of the community we serve. We welcome those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, inclusion, anti-racism and reconciliation. Applications are encouraged from members of groups that are historically disadvantaged and underrepresented. Accommodations are available during the hiring process, upon request.
As a Heavy Equipment Technician, you are a key member of the team that helps to ensure The City’s fleet of equipment continues to operate and supports the daily activities of not only staff but citizens. As a technician, you will be responsible for inspecting, maintaining and repairing a wide variety of medium and heavy duty equipment. This role requires experience with computer based diagnostic repair programs, and an ability to complete work related reports. Primary duties include:
- Diagnose, inspect, repair and service a wide variety of on and off-road equipment, including but not limited to:
- diesel powered trucks
- automatic transmissions
- auxiliary mounted equipment
- propane burner systems
- trailers and light/heavy construction equipment (examples include International, Freightliner, Kenworth, Ford, Caterpillar, John Deere, Bobcat, Kubota and Toro).
- Make documented recommendations regarding repairs and/or areas for improvement.
- Perform Safety and Commercial Vehicle Inspections (CVIP).
- Provide technical guidance and training to Apprentices and Serviceman.
- A High School diploma or equivalency (e.g. GED) is required.
- A Heavy Equipment Technician certificate or equivalent Interprovincial Red Seal (as recognized by the Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training Board) is required.
- Truck and Transport, and Off Road certifications are required.
- A valid Class 5 Driver’s License (or provincial equivalent) with no more than six demerits and no current charges or suspensions pending and the ability to obtain a City of Calgary Operator's Permit is required. Successful candidates will be required to complete this within 3 months of hire.
- A valid Class 3 Driver's License (or provincial equivalent) with an air brake endorsement will be consider an asset. Alternatively, successful candidates will be required to be complete this within 3 months of hire.
- A Commercial Vehicle Inspection Program (CVIP) license is considered an asset. Alternatively, successful candidates will be required to be complete this within 3 months of hire.
- You will be required to have a standard set of mechanic hand tools.
- Ability to complete Audiometric testing.
- You have strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships and work effectively as part of a team (including coaching and mentoring).
- Success in this role requires strong planning and organizational skills with demonstrated technical knowledge, skill, and work standards.
- Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
Pre-employment Drug Test: An offer of employment for this position will be conditional on an applicant passing a pre-employment drug test. This test assesses for use of drugs including cannabis. Failure to pass a pre-employment drug test may prevent an applicant from being hired into any safety sensitive position for a period of up to twelve months.
Union: CUPE Local 37
Business Unit: Fleet & Inventory
Position Type: 3 Permanent
Compensation: $43.20 - 47.85 per hour (2023 Rates)
Days of Work: Various shifts including evenings
Hours of work: Non-standard 40 hour work week
Apply By: January 6, 2023
Job ID #: 306739