Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $69,084–$82,446 a year
Location : Ontario
Requisition ID: 5568
Department: Ottawa Public Library
Service: Branch Operations
Branch: Public Services
Employment Type: 1 Permanent Full Time Position
Work Hours: 35 hours per week
Affiliation: CUPE 503 Library
Salary Information: $69,083.56 - $82,446.00 annually (2022 rates of pay)
Location: Library Main Branch, 120 Metcalfe Street
City: Ottawa, ON
Job Category: Ottawa Public Library
Application Close: 28/11/2022
Ottawa Public Library (OPL) provides accessible, innovative library and information services throughout the City of Ottawa, that meet the unique needs of diverse communities, delivered through a range of vehicles and reflecting a citizen-centred approach.
You provide professional library service in one or more of the following areas: information, quick and in-depth reference and readers’ advisory, programs, collection development, bibliographic access and inventory control, systems support or development, maintenance of web based services and staff training and development. You may be assigned duties in children, youth and/or adult services, and may be the senior person in charge or exercise responsibility for the day-to-day operation of the library branch.
Work is performed within the context of the policies and framework of the Library corporate culture as embodied in the Mission Statement, Core Values, Customer Experience Guidelines and the Canadian Federation of Library Association position statements on Intellectual Freedom and Diversity and Inclusion, with particular emphasis on providing customer service excellence.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Completion of Master's degree in library and/or information sciences from an accredited library school.
Minimum of 6 months of related experience
- General knowledge of Library policies and procedures.
- Theories and principles of library science as well as methods and techniques of library operations.
- Methods and techniques of responding to inquiries and resolving patron complaints.
- Methods and techniques of classification, cataloguing and authority control.
- Methods and techniques of systems analysis and applications.
- Principles of collections development and maintenance.
- Adult/children literature in a variety of formats, readers’ advisory services, trends in reading, literacy and ESL collections and adult/children’s programming.
- Knowledge of current automated library systems.
- Knowledge of microcomputer, hardware, software and peripherals.
- Knowledge of current web development tools and trends.
- Knowledge of intranet structures and development.
- Electronic database and other bibliographic searching techniques.
- Reference resources in print, microform and electronic formats and of current developments in reference services.
- Desktop applications, intranet and Internet and keyboarding procedures, to the extent where it may be required to demonstrate such usage to colleagues or library patrons.
- Methods, techniques and practices of adult training, including needs identification, curriculum design/adaptation, delivery and evaluation.
- Knowledge of customer service techniques and protocols
- Working knowledge of applicable occupational health and safety legislation.
- General knowledge of Ottawa Public Library policies and procedures related to health and safety.
COMPETENCIES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- To deliver library programs to a range of users who may include early childhood, school age and adults.
- Use tact, discretion and confidentiality.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Perform multiple tasks concurrently.
- Well developed organizational skills.
- To establish and maintain effective liaisons and cooperation with agencies and departments.
- Exercise effective judgement and independent decision making.
- Data-entry, retrieval and keyboarding skills including use of standard office equipment, including operating an IBM compatible computer in Microsoft Windows.
- Minimum keyboard skills of 25 wpm.
- Customer service orientation, including the use of tact, discretion and confidentiality
- Attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to deal with the public and handle problems as they arise.
- Flexibility, ability to adjust priorities.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Strongly committed to quality customer service.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Language Requirement: Designated Day 1 Ready – immediate requirement for language proficiency: French: oral, reading, writing required. English: oral, reading, writing required. Candidates must meet language requirement for position upon hire.
- Police Record Check: The successful candidate will be required to complete a Vulnerable Sector Check with the Police Services detachment in their jurisdiction to the Ottawa Public Library's satisfaction.; Note: Under the age of 18, requires a Criminal Record and Judicial Matters check in place of the Vulnerable Sector Check.; Police record checks completed by a third-party company will not be accepted.
- Additional vacancies may occur during the competition process.
- Please save a copy of the job poster. Once the closing date has passed, it will no longer be available.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Ottawa Public Library promotes the principles of diversity and inclusion and adheres to the tenets of the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from women, people with disabilities, Aboriginal peoples and persons of all races, ethnic origins, religions, sexual orientations, and gender identities and expressions.
The Ottawa Public Library provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted to proceed to the selection process, please advise us if you require any accommodation.
Accessible formats and communication supports are available upon request. Please contact the HR Service Centre at 613-580-2424, extension 47411.