|GRADCORPS: Assistant Natural Resources Officer|
GRADCORPS: Assistant Natural Resources Officer
Company : Yukon Government
Salary : $73,295–$84,937 a year
Location : Yukon
Are you a post-secondary grad ready to put your education and skills to work for the people of Yukon? The GradCorps program has exciting internships for you – the next generation who will make a difference.
Please see additional program eligibility information below.
The Yukon public service has a unique opportunity for recent graduates who have a post-secondary diploma or degree but lack real-world work experience. With GradCorps, you can kick-start your career while putting your passion, ideas and energy to work with the Yukon public service.
The Department of Energy, Mines and Resources has a GradCorps opportunity for an Assistant Natural Resource Officer. This intern will assist with delivering compliance monitoring and enforcement programs for the Branches and Departments we provide service to (Lands, Land Use, Forest Management, Fire Management, Mineral Rights, Mining Land Use, Department of Environment and Federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans). This position may be based outside of Whitehorse for some or all of the placement. The successful candidate’s preferred location(s) will be considered.
This position will work for a one-year Term from approximately May 2022 to May 2023. The salary will be 80% of the starting salary - $58,636
For more information on this program, please click here to visit the GradCorps information website, email [email protected] or call (867) 667-9501.
Please note selection for further consideration will be based solely on the information you provide in your resume. If this opportunity interests you, please submit your resume clearly indicating your:
- Degree or diploma in a Natural Resources field such as Environmental Sciences, Forest Management, Fish & Wildlife, Geology, Natural Resources/conservation enforcement, or related.
- Experience in the field with basic knowledge of compliance monitoring in lands, forestry or mining areas would be an asset.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Suitability
Candidates should have and may be assessed on:
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work long hours and carry heavy equipment (such as sampling equipment, soil and water samples and camping/safety equipment);
- Ability to operate off-road vehicles;
- Ability to work/travel to remote environment, often by foot.
- An elementary understanding of environmental conditions and inspection principles.
Conditions of Employment: Valid Yukon Class 5 driver’s license; valid first aid certificate, pre-employment medical clearance.
NOTE: To qualify for the GradCorps program, you must:
- be a resident of Yukon or a person of Yukon First Nations ancestry*
- have graduated with a diploma or degree from a recognized post-secondary institution within the past two years (2021, 2022 or 2023 grads – all requirements for graduation must be complete before internship start date)
- have little or no work experience in your field of study
- If you are a resident of Yukon who completed your studies outside of the territory, you may apply up two years after graduation.