|Child Care Cook|
Child Care Cook
Company : City of Ottawa
Salary : $44,870–$52,502 a year
Location : Ontario
Requisition ID: 5699
Department: Community & Social Services Dept.
Service: Children's Services
Branch: Directly Operated Child Care Srvs Branch
Employment Type: 1 Full-time Permanent
Work Hours: 35.00 /hours per week
Affiliation: CUPE 503 Inside/Outside
Salary Information: $44 870,28 - $52 501,54 annually (2022 rates of pay)
Location: Centre Éducatif Tournesol, 194 McArthur
City: Ottawa, ON
Job Category: Community and Social Services
Application Close: 21/11/2022
Directly Operated Child Care Services is responsible for planning and managing the delivery and operations of Child Care programs and services delivered to the community through the Municipal Child Care Centres.
You are responsible for planning and preparing all food served within the Child Care Centre, including accommodating special dietary needs and medically prescribed dietary restrictions, with an emphasis on well balanced meals and nutritious foods, while managing the kitchen budget and environment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Completion of Grade 10
Minimum of 6 months of experience cooking for large groups
Previous experience cooking specifically for children (aged 18 months to 5 years) is an asset
- Canada's Food Guide
- Child Care and Early Years Act, 2014
- Municipal Healthy Eating Active Living Policy
- HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) standards for food handling and kitchen management
- Preparation of fresh and unprocessed food in large quantities
- Preparation of cooking fresh vegetables, fruit, meat, fish, poultry, baked goods, sauces and soups
- Food Inventory Control
- Nutritional principles and healthy eating philosophies
- Knowledge of applicable health and safety legislation, including the rights and duties of workers.
COMPETENCIES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Planning and preparing and serving nutritious, appealing meals to children
- Organizing, prioritizing and meeting deadlines
- Understanding recipes and food preparation terminology
- Purchasing nutritious food supplies within a budgetary framework
- Maintaining accurate stock control in order to minimize waste
- Safely operating and maintaining kitchen tools and equipment basic operating knowledge of a computer for the purpose of sending/receiving email, ordering supplies
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Committed to health eating, cooking and food education
- Sensitive to the dietary needs of individual children
- Self-motivated and independent
- Flexible to changing job demands
- Ability to interact cooperatively and respectfully with staff, parents/families and children
- Meets physical requirements of the job
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Language Requirement: Designated Day 1 Ready – immediate requirement for language proficiency: French: oral, reading, writing English: oral, reading, writing Candidates must meet language requirement for position upon hire.
- Police Record Check: The successful candidate will be required to complete a Vulnerable Sector Check with the Police Services detachment in their jurisdiction to the City of Ottawa’s satisfaction.; Police record checks completed by a third-party company will not be accepted.
- You may initially be paid 95% of your starting rate of pay, in accordance with the collective agreement.
- Experience and formal training combined with demonstrated performance and ability may substitute for stipulated academic requirements.
- Must have a Food Handler Certificate.
- Please save a copy of the job poster. Once the closing date has passed, it will no longer be available.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The City of Ottawa promotes the principles of diversity and inclusion and adheres to the tenets of the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from women, people with disabilities, Aboriginal peoples and persons of all races, ethnic origins, religions, sexual orientations, and gender identities and expressions.
The City of Ottawa provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted to proceed to the selection process, please advise us if you require any accommodation.
Accessible formats and communication supports are available upon request. Please contact the HR Service Centre at 613-580-2424, extension 47411.