|Accounting Technician 2/3|
Accounting Technician 2/3
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Manitoba
The City of Winnipeg is currently recruiting for a candidate that is actively pursuing a Chartered Professional Accountant designation to fill the role of an Accounting Technician. Accounting Technicians fall within a 3-level series whereby the duties and responsibilities increase in scope and complexity as you progress through the series. Progression through the Accounting Technician series is dependent on qualifications, and operational requirements.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Senior Capital Accountant, the Accountant Technician is responsible for performing a variety of accounting functions. These responsibilities will include preparation, review and analysis of various financial statements, budgets, and reports as required to support departments/divisions and ensure financial accountability.
As the Accounting Technician 2/3, you will:
- Maintain, analyze and balance a variety of accounts, tracking discrepancies and preparing corrections, as required or appropriate.
- Monitor flow of data to general ledger accounts ensuring all information is processed according to established policies and procedures.
- Prepare regular and as required journal entries performing necessary calculations and file maintenance, ensuring proper documentation and authorization, etc.
- Maintain or assist in the maintenance of subsidiary ledgers, reviewing and reconciling to the general ledger and preparing adjustments, as required.
- Prepare routine to complex financial reports and statements.
- Prepare (or assist in the preparation of) business plans, budgets, financial projections and year-end working papers and financial statements.
- Supervise (or provide oversight to) clerical staff (or their assignments) (i.e. purchasing, payables, cash, and receivables) to ensure financial information is provided in a timely fashion and recorded in an accurate and efficient manner.
- Prepare, review and authorize various payments in accordance with Financial Management Administrative Standards.
- Provide financial support to other divisions with respect to projections, budgeting, and various other accounting processes according to established policies and procedures.
Your education and qualifications include:
- Completion of nine (9) modules in CPA PREP program (including Financial Reporting 1 and 2), for AT2; OR equivalent through university degree program and continued enrollment in pursuance of enrollment in CPA PEP program towards obtaining their CPA designation; OR enrollment in CPA PEP Program, for AT3.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience as an Accountant Technician 1 or equivalent accounting experience of approximately three (3) years, for AT2; OR minimum of three (3) years of accounting experience in the City of Winnipeg’s Accountant Technician series or equivalent accounting experience of approximately five (5) years, for AT3.
- *Knowledge of accounting procedures and practices, in particular municipal accounting. *Good (AT2), Advanced (AT3).
- Knowledge of the City of Winnipeg’s PeopleSoft financial reporting system and proficiency working in the system or comparable knowledge and proficiency with financial reporting systems. Required knowledge and proficiency of PeopleSoft must be gained within six (6) months of appointment. *Good (AT2), Working (AT3).
- Ability to prepare *financial reports and statements. *Semi-complex (AT2), Complex (AT3)
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to control and balance various accounting records and summaries.
- Ability to manage and coordinate multiple tasks while delivering results on time.
- Ability to work effectively with financial computer applications and Microsoft Office suite software packages.
- Experience in the control and balance of various accounting records and summaries.
- Experience preparing journal entries, recording transactions, maintaining records, and making calculations requiring accuracy and attention to detail.
To be considered for an AT3, your education and experience includes all of the above as well as:
13. Experience managing and coordinating multiple tasks while delivering results on time.
14. Experience working effectively with financial computer applications and Microsoft Office suite software packages.
15. Advanced computer skills including proficiency in Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
16. Ability to effectively supervise and mentor junior staff.
Conditions of employment:
- The successful candidate must maintain legal eligibility to work in Canada. If the successful candidate possesses a work permit, it is their responsibility to ensure the permit remains valid.
- A Police Information Check satisfactory to the employer will be required from the successful candidate(s), at their expense. To obtain Police Information Check information please visit www.winnipeg.ca/police.
- Continued enrollment towards Chartered Professional Accountant designation in accordance with established timelines for each level in the series; specifically:
- AT2 Condition of employment:
- Continuing education with successful completion of the remaining PREP modules: a minimum completion of one course every 18 months.
- AT3 Condition of employment:
- Must complete their CPA designation within 60 months. A minimum completion of one course every 18 months is required.
- AT2 Condition of employment:
CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL EMPLOYEES OF THE CITY OF WINNIPEG:
- Citizen & Customer Focus
- Respecting Diversity
- Ethics and Values
- Integrity and Trust
- Results Oriented