|Assistant to Council Committees (Meeting Coordinator)|
Assistant to Council Committees (Meeting Coordinator)
Company : Vancover Police Department
Salary : $35.66 an hour
Location : British Columbia
Assistant to Council Committees (Meeting Coordinator)Requisition ID: 36138
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This position in the City Clerk’s office supports City Council legislative operations by playing a key role preparing council meetings, taking minutes during the meetings and supplying post-meeting services for City Council and its committees. The position provides meeting services for regular, committee and special meetings of Council, public hearings as well as business licence hearings and most meetings of Council-appointed advisory committees.
Reporting to the Director, Legislative Operations, with strong linkages to the City Clerk, the position has considerable contact with elected officials, senior City staff, outside organizations and officials as well as members of the public.
- Leads the preparation of Council meeting agendas by liaising with departments and report authors to track reports, ensure they are submitted to the document management system, properly formatted and receive the necessary inter-department approvals in readiness for review by the City Manager, all on an established timetable
- Ensures approved meeting agendas are assembled accurately and sent to the advance distribution list of recipients and posted to City website per department procedure
- Prior to the Council meeting, the incumbent will prepare the minutes and other meeting documents based on the agenda, ensure the agenda is uploaded to the Creston meeting management system and schedule the video system to record the meeting
- The Meeting Coordinator will also track and liaise with members of the public and community officials who would like to speak to Council at its meetings and process correspondence for Council meetings and hearings
- During the meetings, the incumbent will minute the decisions made at the meeting, operate the Creston audio visual and meeting management system and assist the meeting chair and others with parliamentary procedure and meeting management advice as required
- Following the meeting, the incumbent will prepare the decision-based minutes and ensure they are completed, accurate, distributed and posted to the City website according to the department procedure
- After the meeting, the incumbent will also distribute any requests made of staff and prepare motions and correspondence for other agencies or levels of government regarding the decisions of Council
- The Meeting Coordinator will keep all Council and meeting records up to date and filed in the appropriate locations in the corporate document management systems
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
- Meeting Coordinators are also responsible for providing support to some of the City’s civic agencies
- The incumbent will assist the committee by preparing a proposed annual calendar of meetings and scheduling the time and place for the meetings once the calendar is confirmed
- The Meeting Coordinator liaises with the committee chair and members to assist with the distribution of the agenda and other committee materials and determining attendance and absences to best inform quorum requirements
- The Meeting Coordinator prepares decision-based minutes of each meeting and ensures they are distributed and posted to the City website
- The Meeting Coordinator will also assist the committee by distributing their correspondence to Mayor and Council and other elected officials following appropriate City protocols for the distribution of such correspondence
- The responsibility for handling the committee member intake process, supporting the nominating committee and leading the appointment process is a portfolio of tasks that may be rotated between meeting coordinators
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by courses or training in business writing and Microsoft Office and considerable related experience in the areas of meeting management and parliamentary procedure (e.g. use of Robert Rules or Order and/or a municipal procedure bylaw) or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Minimum five years of experience in a government governance structures and systems, the role of Mayor and Council, the legislation and supporting bylaws and policies that govern the City as well as record management practices and systems is strongly preferred
- A post-secondary degree in an area such as Public Administration or Political Science, or other relevant discipline, is preferred
- Sound knowledge of government governance structures and systems, the role of Mayor and Council, the legislation and supporting bylaws that govern the City as well as record management practices and systems
- Advanced understanding of Microsoft Office and SharePoint software, Adobe Acrobat and Contribute software and meeting AV system and software, preferably Crestron and SLIQ Technologies
- A thorough knowledge of agenda preparations, minute taking and Council meeting protocols including formal rules of procedure
- A keen sense of accuracy and attention to detail and the ability to produce products that reflect the highest standards of accuracy and detail
- Excellent written and verbal skills with a strong knowledge of business English including sentence structure, grammar and punctuation and a demonstrated writing skill.
- Experience in responding to inquiries from Council and civic agencies regarding parliamentary procedure while in Council and committee meetings is preferred
- The ability to comprehend, interpret and independently carry out written and oral instructions
- Strong time-management skills, the ability to prioritize tasks and work independently as well as the ability to work under pressure with firm and at times, changing deadlines while remaining calm
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and security of confidential information
- Ability to focus during meetings and remain in a static position for long periods of time
- Demonstrated tact, diplomacy, interpersonal skills and the ability to foster good relationships with elected officials, staff and the public is preferred
The City of Vancouver has a COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy. All external applicants applying to the City of Vancouver are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire and subject to this policy as a condition of ongoing employment. Candidates may only be exempted from this requirement if they request and are approved for an accommodation based on a reason related to a Human Rights Code ground (such as disability). Such a request must be made during, not after, the recruitment process.
Business Unit/Department: City Clerk's Office (1060)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: October 2022
Position End Date: August 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-022: $35.66 to $41.98 per hour
Application Close: October 2, 2022
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx.. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.
Education : Bachelor’s degree
Experience : 5 years or more