|Strategic Procurement Specialist|
Strategic Procurement Specialist
Company : Government of Alberta
Salary : $70,028–$91,634 a year
Location : Alberta
Job Requisition ID: 31608
Location: Edmonton, AB
Full or Part-Time: Full Time
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Regular/Temporary: Temporary Salaried and Permanent Salaried
Scope: Open Competition
Closing Date: August 16, 2022
Classification: Program Services 4
Alberta Infrastructure designs, builds, manages and maintains government-owned and operated facilities, and collaborates with other ministries to ensure that schools, hospitals and government facilities infrastructure meet the needs of Alberta’s population. The Ministry also provides accommodation services and manages a large portfolio of owned and leased facilities while maintaining fiscal accountability and optimizing value for Albertans.
The Procurement section drives to maximize value and minimize risk for Alberta Infrastructure projects by championing leading class procurement practices and delivering strategic advice for the benefit of the Ministry, our stakeholders, and all Albertans.
We believe in building careers and providing opportunities to develop within the organization. We also provide our staff with a work-life balance including reasonable hours of work and support for wellness at work with a series of activities over the lunch break and after office hours. In short, we provide staff with the tools and support they need to excel. Working together we will promote the Alberta Public Service Values of Respect, Integrity, Accountability and Excellence.
Reporting to the Manager, this position develops and maintains business practices, process maps, solicitation templates and contracting standards for government owned and supported infrastructure programs and projects. These standards relate to the procurement of architectural and engineering services, specialty consulting services, construction services, and facility management services. The Strategic Procurement Specialist will be responsible for the following job duties:
Roles and responsibilities:
- Provide advice and develop standards for procurement of consulting services, construction services, building management and maintenance services, and procurement methodologies appropriate for the project delivery method, e.g. Construction Management, Design-Build, etc.
- Ensure procurement documents adhere to the CFTA, NWPTA, CETA, and WTO GPA, and any new agreements applicable to the Government of Alberta.
- Work closely with key department business unit personnel and external stakeholders to identify key issues and opportunities to improve procurement policy and best practices.
- Establish, monitor, and administer corporate and program level policy, practices, and standards for the procurement of construction and consulting services.
- Provide assistance in the development of a knowledge management framework for procurement services including best practices and procedures, manuals, templates and guidelines, communication and training.
- Provide recommendations relating to consulting strategies, contracting strategies, vendor qualification policy, procurement strategy processes, multi-year standing offer agreement policy, and policies for other contracting strategies.
- Make recommendations to senior management on general requests for information and special issues pertaining to strategic procurement and the acquisition of construction and consulting services.
- Develop and support innovative or new delivery strategies that reduce risk and costs, or that result in better service. Work collaboratively with other staff in Procurement Section to deliver quality services.
Minimum Qualifications: The position requires University graduation in Architecture, Engineering, Business, or other related field, plus 4 years progressively responsible related experience or equivalent as described below.
- 1 year of education for 1 year of experience.
- 1 year of experience for 1 year of education
- A professional designation as an SCMP issued through the Purchasing Management Association of Canada is preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of public sector procurement and contracting practices in a design and construction or facility management context.
- Knowledge and experience of contracts and contracting methods used to procure construction, architectural/engineering, and facility management services
- Knowledge of the principles of contract law and competitive bidding law.
- Familiarity with Government financial legislation, regulations, and policies
Competencies are behaviors that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process.
This link will assist you with understanding competencies:
The competencies that are determined to be essential for this role are:
- Drive for Results
- Develop Networks
- Systems Thinking
- Creative Problem Solving
($2683.10 to $3507.06) bi-weekly. ($70,028 to $91,634 per year) approximately
Hours of work: 36.25 hours per week, Monday to Friday 8.15 am to 4.30 pm
There may be the opportunity to participate in an interim hybrid work schedule (per Alberta Public Service policy) of up to two days working from your home office and three days in the office. This can be discussed with your manager upon hire.
- Working for the Alberta Public Service –
- Pension plans:
- Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP) –
- Management Employees Pension Plan (MEPP) –
- Leadership and mentorship programs
- Professional learning and development
- Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
- Opportunity to participate in flexible work arrangements such as working from home up to two days per week and modified work schedule agreements
- Research Alberta Public Service Careers tool –
How To Apply
If you are not currently an employee with the Government of Alberta, the first step in applying for a job is creating your candidate profile within our online application system,
Existing employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Once you have created your candidate profile, visit the Alberta Public Service job site to apply for jobs at
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies, across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting or a copy of the role profile, and/or require a disability related accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact Samantha Kith at [email protected]
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check