New Job Business Development Officer In Alberta
|Business Development Officer|
Business Development Officer
Company : National Research Council Canada
Salary : $105,785–$148,657 a year
Location : Alberta
Help bring research to life and drive your career forward with the National Research Council of Canada (NRC), Canada’s largest research and technology organization.
We are looking for a senior-career Business Development Officer (BDO) to support our Nanotechnology Research Centre. The BDO would be someone who shares our core values of Integrity, Excellence, Respect and Creativity.
The Nanotechnology Research Centre (NANO) cultivates nanoscience platforms that lead to revolutionary technologies and applications to enhance human health, the environment and society's technological future. In the pursuit of innovation and advancement, we strategically draw upon foundational expertise across science disciplines such as chemistry, biology, physics, material science, and engineering. We advance Canadian innovations by deploying cutting-edge nanoscience, developing expert microscopy capabilities, and by establishing and leveraging national and international collaborations and partnerships.
NRC is looking for a senior level Business Development Officer (BDO) to provide strategic business advice and lead the development of strategic relationships with key stakeholders for its Nanotechnology (NANO) Research Centre which is located in Edmonton, Alberta.
The BDO provides strategic guidance, senior level stakeholder engagement expertise, intellectual property management and licensing, complex agreement negotiation, and sales & marketing advice. As such, this position catalyzes business objectives and strategic plans, increasing and strengthening the NRC value proposition and stakeholder relationships, and helps to devise new business approaches.
The BDO supports the business and partnership objectives of the NRC by developing and implementing stakeholder engagement strategies to meet the objectives of the NANO Research Centre. The BDO supports NANO’s management team, often leading contacts with high-level stakeholders in industry, government, and academia. The position must understand the priorities of NRC’s various programs, research centres, and divisions, the Government of Canada and Canada’s R&D ecosystem; and must possess an up-to-date, sharp insight of stakeholder priorities in relevant technology domains.
The insight provided by this position will significantly guide the decisions of NANO’s management in relation to strategic initiatives, nationally, and internationally. The BDO is also expected to work with researchers in NANO to establish collaborative relationships and projects with key stakeholders in industry, academia and government and to achieve targeted growth in new opportunities for NANO to provide technical or research services to clients.
This is an excellent opportunity for the right candidate interested in working within a fast-paced business environment at Canada’s leading research and technology organization.
Applicants must demonstrate within the content of their application that they meet the following screening criteria in order to be given further consideration as candidates:
Bachelor’s degree, preferably Engineering, Science or Business Administration. A Master’s degree, in Science, Engineering or Business Administration would be an asset.
For information on certificates and diplomas issued abroad, please see Degree equivalency
- Significant and recent experience in developing business strategies and managing relationships with diverse academic, government and industry stakeholders in materials characterization, biomedicine, sensor systems and/or technology development;
- Significant and recent experience in creating and developing opportunities for collaborative advancement of technology from bench-scale to prototype;
- Significant experience leading complex files requiring coordination with internal and external partners or stakeholders;
- Experience supporting, leading and supervising business-related activities within a research organization;
- Experience in leveraging intellectual property to address industry challenges; and
- Experience in international business contexts would be considered an asset.
Condition of Employment
Must be able to travel.
Information on language requirements and self-assessment tests
Candidates will be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
- Knowledge of trends and developments (in national and international contexts) relevant to nanotechnology translating this into business opportunities with key prospects and accounts;
- Extensive knowledge of the Canadian innovation landscape, including leading R&D institutions in nanoscience, microscopy;
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills; ability to make business pitches to technical and business audiences;
- Ability to use well-developed influencing and negotiation strategies to achieve business outcomes;
- Strategic planning; leveraging advanced technical, analytical and problem-solving skills; and
- Demonstrated ability to meet revenue objectives and outreach or marketing targets, leading activities which are aligned with strategic goals and that have significant impact for the organization.
- Knowledge of physics, chemistry, biology and/or engineering technologies and leading organizations.
- Management services - Client focus (Level 3)
- Management services - Communication (Level 4)
- Management services - Results orientation (Level 3)
- Management services - Initiative (Level 3)
- Management services - Partnering (Level 3)
- Management services - Teamwork (Level 3)
- Management services - Networking (Level 3)
- Technology extension - Business understanding (Level 4)
For this position, the NRC will evaluate candidates using the following competency profiles: Management Services; Technology Extension
Relocation assistance will be determined in accordance with the NRC's directives.
The intent of this hiring action is to staff this position at the RCO-3 to RCO-4 level, which is a senior-career level position with a salary range of $105,785 to $148,657.
NOTE: Please note that the full RO/RCO salary scale has five levels. Salary determination will be based on a review of the candidate’s expertise, outcomes and impacts of their previous work experience relative to the requirements of the level. As such, the initial salary could be within another level of the RO/RCO salary scale (i.e. above or below the intended level for this position).
NRC employees enjoy a wide-range of competitive benefits including comprehensive health and dental plans, pension and insurance plans, vacation and other leave entitlements.
- A pre-qualified list may be established for similar positions for a one year period.
- In order to ensure a prompt and efficient processing of applications, candidates are encouraged to provide, along with their résumé, a detailed covering letter explaining how they meet each of the requirements of this position (education, experience, language requirements) by providing concrete examples. In addition, the candidate is encouraged to describe in detail when, where and how he/she gained the experience.
- Preference will be given to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada. Please include citizenship information in your application.
- The incumbent must adhere to safe workplace practices at all times.
- We thank all those who apply, however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please direct your questions, with the requisition number (17723) to:
E-mail: [email protected]
Closing Date: Posted until filled