|Social Worker 1(A)-(B)-2|
Social Worker 1(A)-(B)-2
Company : Province of Nova Scotia
Salary : $4,056–$6,311 a month
Location : Nova Scotia
Location: NEW GLASGOW
Type of Employment: Term
Union Status: NSGEU - NSPG
Closing Date: 8/12/2022 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
The Correctional Services division of the Department of Justice is responsible for the administration and operation of community and custody-based programs and services for adults and young persons. Within the Correctional Services core business area there are two programs: community corrections & correctional facilities. Each of these program areas is broken down into closely related activities that have a specific impact on the program's target group.
About Our Opportunity
As the Social Worker, you will provide clinical Mental Health and general supportive counselling, crisis counselling, mental health assessment, suicide risk assessment, clinical case plan development and facilitates access to community services for individuals sentenced or remanded into custody at a designated correctional facility and/or individuals subject to community-based sentences/dispositions.
You will work as a member of a case management team and ensures continuity with all aspects of the case plan and release plan. You will assess needs, provide counselling, and provide individuals in custody/subject to community-based sentences with links to publicly available community-based services across Nova Scotia. This may include the Nova Scotia Health Authority, the Department of Community Services, and other social services as required. You will be expected to keep statistics of referrals and client interactions.
This position reports to the Manager, Case Management & Social Work Services.
As the Social Worker, you will-
- provide clinical and general social and personal counselling to individuals in accordance to need and the clinical case plan;
- develop clinical case plans and psychosocial assessments for clients as needed;
- perform clinical assessments and investigations as required to identify Individual needs;
- collaborate and case conference with Correctional Case Workers, Probation Officers, and other Corrections staff to develop case plans and release plans;
- liaise with staff of the Nova Scotia Health Authority, the Department of Community Services, and other community resources, in Nova Scotia and other provinces as required, in accordance with the individual’s need for mental health services, addiction services and other social needs;
- record activities through the maintenance of paper files and update the electronic file on the computer case management system;
- process and triage referrals that are received and keep stats associated with the referrals and clients seen;
- perform other related duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience
To be considered for this opportunity, you hold a minimum of a Bachelor of Social Work and are registered with the Nova Scotia College of Social Workers.
You have experience in several of the following areas: knowledge of the risks and needs of persons in conflict with the law, and the social work theory that informs evidence-based clinical intervention with individuals in custody. You have good knowledge of community services and resources as required. As our social worker you will have knowledge of short-term intervention counselling models, strong communication and crisis intervention skills. You will have strong interpersonal abilities that will be reflected in appropriate boundary setting while working with individuals in custody, correctional facility staff and community partners. Flexibility, sound decision-making, initiative and the ability to be self-directed are other required skills.
Assets for this position include:
- Knowledge of pathways to involvement with the criminal justice system
- Experience working with individuals in conflict with the law to address their criminogenic risk factors
- Completion of specialized training in trauma informed practices, cognitive based therapy techniques (e.g. DBT, ACT), criminal justice or forensics.
We will assess the above qualifications and competencies using one or more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks.
Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Based on the employment status and Union agreement, the Government of Nova Scotia offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs. Click here to learn more about our various benefits offerings and eligibility criteria.
- Normal work week is 35 hours/week, 7 hours/day
- Some overtime work required
- Dynamic continuously evolving work environment
In accordance with the COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Protocol in High-Risk Settings full vaccination is a condition of employment for this opportunity.
This competition is to fill a Term employment opportunity based in NEW GLASGOW with anticipated end date of September 15th 2023 . The position type (term/temporary/casual) is dependent on the start date of the candidate.
The position requires the successful candidate to work-on site, flexibility to work from home is minimal.
What We Offer
- Career Development where you have access to career guidance, tools, resources, and ongoing training for every stage of your career.
- Engaging workplace. Our Employees feel valued, respected, connected, and tuned in. We have forward-thinking policies and strategies.
- Countless career paths.
- Department Specific Flexible working schedules.
Pay Grade: PR 09 - PR 15
Salary Range: $2,028.21 - $3,155.27 Bi-Weekly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
This is a bargaining unit position initially restricted to current civil service employees represented by the Nova Scotia Government Employees Union (NSGEU). If applying from outside a government office, employees must apply correctly via this link:
Failure to apply correctly means that your application will not be given first consideration as a bargaining unit applicant, and will only be included if external applications are pursued.
External applicants and current casual employees will only be considered if there are no qualified civil service bargaining unit candidates. PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to [email protected]