Company : City of Toronto
Salary : $27.80 an hour
Location : Ontario
Under the general supervision and direction of Corporate Security Management, you will be responsible for carrying out security duties as a front-line Security Guard (Part Time) for the City of Toronto's Corporate Security Section, at various City owned and/or operated facilities, in order to protect life, City assets and facilities.
- Provides security services to City owned and/or operated properties through the operation of various security systems and patrolling, including responding and effectively handling emergency and non-emergency, security and law enforcement calls, maintaining the utmost confidentiality at all times
- Monitors and patrols assigned areas of City owned and/or operated properties and the surrounding grounds through physical patrols and by monitoring various security systems Observes, investigates, and acts on possible breaches of security, criminal code violations, fire and safety hazards, illegal entry, theft, and malfunction or interruption of utilities, machinery or equipment
- Responds to public inquiries and represents the City of Toronto Corporate Security Division by promoting security services that contribute positively to the results of the division, and corporate vision
- Conducts security audits and assessments providing advice to enhance physical security Informs the designated authorities in the event of security, fire or health emergencies. Activates fire alarm and safety systems and assists in evacuation procedures. Escorts designated authorities, police, fire and EMS personnel to emergency locations Provides security for visiting dignitaries, protocol functions, demonstrations, labour disruptions, council meetings and special events
- Conducts open-up and facility lock-down and security testing
- Screens unauthorized persons/staff and may be required to escort and/or physically remove offenders and trespassers from City owned/operated properties. Legally arrests individuals as required and surrenders them to Police as soon as possible
- Responds to security and fire alarms in City vehicle and performs proactive patrols at City owned or operated sites
- Responds to public inquiries and performs guarded tours along designated routes; records same. Assists in the movement of visitors, employees and dignitaries
- Records and maintains log books of daily activities, unusual or special occurrences, and issuance of equipment
- Receives and records complaints, conducts investigations, prepares incidents reports and conducts follow up investigations
- Conducts investigations and testifies at court proceedings as required
- Assigns daily pass and /or temporary cards. Provides access to authorized visitors i.e. contractors, guests
- Administers basic first aid and emergency CPR operating automated external defibrillator Assists Supervisors in the development of site specific policies and procedures to provide and enhance Security at City facilities
- Enforces bylaws and various Acts, Codes and City policies such as the Trespass to
- Property Act and the Criminal Code of Canada
- Resolves conflict situations including staff and general public complaints and disputes Maintains current knowledge of required legislation, resources, and City policies and procedures
- Complies with all applicable requirements contained in the Private Security and Investigative Service Act
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Experience providing facility security including the use of security systems and key systems.
- Post-secondary education in a discipline pertinent to the job function or the approved equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Possession of and the ability to maintain a valid Security Guard License in accordance with the Ontario Private Security and Investigative Services Act, 2005, S.O. 2005, c. 34.
- Possession of and the ability to maintain a valid certificate in Standard First Aid and CPR level ’C’ and be certified to use an Automated External Defibrillator (AED).
- . Possession of and the ability to maintain a valid Province of Ontario, Class "G" Driver’s License and obtain a City's Driver’s Permit is an asset.
- Strong knowledge of legislative policies such as the Criminal Code, Trespass to Property Act and WHMIS.
- Knowledge of relevant Security policies such as patrolling and emergency response, Private Security and Investigative Services Act.
- Highly developed interpersonal and customer service skills, including conflict resolution, problem solving, decision making and situational assessment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to respond to staff and public in a courteous and effective manner.
- Ability to prepare and maintain clear, concise, and legible security reports and detailed records.
- Demonstrated experience working with a computer and the ability to utilize a variety of software, e.g. Microsoft Word and Excel, mainframe systems, divisional databases, etc.
- Ability to compile accurate information and prepare effective reports and correspondence using a computer.
- Ability to operate and monitor computerized security equipment.
- Ability to work rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to use various tools and equipment related to the role including Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) i.e. baton, ballistic resistive vest, handcuffs, two-way radios, etc.
- Ability to pass a thorough medical and physical examination.
- Ability to successfully complete mandatory training and recertification as required by Corporate Security including, but not limited to, City of Toronto Use of Force and Foundational certification, management of resistive behaviour and de-escalation training, defensive tactics, handcuffing and baton use, Standard First Aid, CPR level ’C’ and AED, WHMIS and other position related training.
- Ability to comply with the Corporate Security Scheduling Policy.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Note: All City of Toronto employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the City's Mandatory Vaccination Policy. Candidates will be required to show proof of vaccination during the recruitment process.
Note To Current City of Toronto Employees
City of Toronto employees are eligible to apply for the posted job opportunity, but cannot hold two different jobs. To be considered for this job posting, you must indicate that you are a "Current City of Toronto employee" on the on-line application form, and provide your "Employee Number".
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.