Company : The City of Vancouver
Salary : $29.13–$34.23 an hour
Location : British Columbia
Requisition ID: 36368
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
This position is responsible to perform a front counter role; answer phone calls, process business licence applications and a variety of complex clerical duties including the handling of information that is sensitive in nature.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Many of the duties associated with this position include: handling customers in person, on the phone or via email; making decisions on licence categories and approvals required and setting licence conditions when necessary; working independently with little supervision and as a team player; reviewing applications and ensuring all requirements are met in accordance with City By laws, policies and procedures prior to issuance of a licence; accessing and researching information on department systems and the internet is an integral part of the position. The incumbent is required to process payments and balance their session at the end of the day; assist the renewal team with responding to enquiries and administering bike courier tests; providing information and referrals related to licensing to potential licensees verbally or in writing and additional duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12, preferably supplemented by further education in business or accounting courses, cashier and clerical experience, or an equivalent combination or training and experience
- Considerable experience in providing a range of customer service functions
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have a good working knowledge of MS Office applications.
- Must have an ability to handle a large volume of work in a noisy, high stress environment with frequent interruptions and minimal direction
- Proven ability to make sound judgement in applying policies and procedures
- Ability to problem solve and perform duties in accordance with prescribed policies and procedures
- The ability to work independently and also in a team environment
- The ability to plan and organize workload in an efficient manner
- Working knowledge of Licences and Inspections terminology and procedures, including familiarity with the Licence, Animal Control, Zoning & Development and Vehicle for Hire By laws is required
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, demonstrated ability to deal tactfully with discretion with the public and staff members from other City Departments
- Cash handling experience is a requirement
- Strong internet navigation skills are an asset
- Preference will be given to those candidates that have a working knowledge of AMANDA, POSSE, and DOMINO applications and zoning regulations
- The incumbent should have considerable experience working with databases
The City of Vancouver has a COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy. All external applicants applying to the City of Vancouver are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire and subject to this policy as a condition of ongoing employment. Candidates may only be exempted from this requirement if they request and are approved for an accommodation based on a reason related to a Human Rights Code ground (such as disability). Such a request must be made during, not after, the recruitment process.
Business Unit/Department: Development, Buildings & Licensing (1250)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: September, 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-017: $29.13 to $34.23 per hour
Application Close: August 7, 2022
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx.. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.