|Leadhand, Waste Services|
Leadhand, Waste Services
Company : City of Whitehorse
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Yukon
Job posting closes: June 24, 2022 at 0500 p.m. Yukon Standard Time
An Eligibility List may be established from this competition – the duration of the eligibility list may be up to 12 months. The eligibility list may be used to fill future permanent full-time, permanent part-time, temporary full-time, temporary part-time, term or casual vacancies within the same department and classification based on the organizational needs by going to the next highest ranked candidate until the eligibility list expires.
This position is covered by a collective agreement between the City of Whitehorse and the Public Service Alliance of Canada/Yukon Employees Union.
The City wishes to thank all applicants for their interest but only those candidates selected to advance in the recruitment will be contacted. Note that only those candidates eligible to legally work in Canada will be considered.
Leadhand, Waste Services
Job Code: 192
Department: Water & Waste
This incumbent oversees the daily operation of the Waste Management Facility by monitoring and assisting with administration of service contracts to ensure that waste is managed in an efficient, effective, and environmentally sound manner.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the daily operation of the Waste Management Facility by monitoring and assisting with administration of service contracts consistent with legislation and established programs, policies, procedures, practices, Bylaws, and operating license.
- Assist with the administration of service contracts, prepare and solicit requests for bids/proposals and provides project management to ensure contractor compliance.
- Inform, communicate and educate commercial haulers to improve compliance with relevant Bylaws, legislation and practices. Inspect commercial waste loads for compliance, calculate applicable fines. Remove banned materials from landfill if safe and practical to do so.
- Report clearly visible bylaw infractions to Bylaw Constables and Supervisor.
- Answer inquiries from customers and provide recommendations for preferred waste disposal practices. Distribute informational pamphlets as required.
- Perform labouring duties such as sweeping, shoveling, lifting, packing, hauling, digging, and moving objects.
- Follow, so far as is reasonably practicable, established safety procedures and standards.
- Assist in orientating seasonal staff.
- Act as Waste Services Supervisor, as assigned.
- Other related duties.
This description contains elements necessary for identification and evaluation of the job. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.
Continuous exposure to disagreeable conditions such as dust/dirt, fumes/odours, inclement weather, temperature extremes, working on uneven ground, lifting greater than 23 kg all types of solid waste, and hazardous chemicals odours and fumes.
Required Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Grade 12
- 1 year previous related experience and 6 months on the job training
- Class 5 Driver's License
- Landfill Basics Operations Certificate (SWANABC)
- Manager of Landfill Operations Certification (SWANABC) is an asset
- Standard First Aid including level C CPR
- Conflict Resolution Course
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) & WHMIS
- Hazard awareness and assessment course
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and be a team player
- Must have thorough knowledge and understanding of waste management practices
- Proven ability to concentrate, pay attention to detail, organize, priority set and be a team player
- Ability to work with little supervision and function in a multidiscipline environment
Examples of Equipment to Operate:
Radio communication equipment, cell phone, light vehicle, ATV, computer with programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel and ERP.
Covid-19 Note: The City of Whitehorse recently lifted requirements for all new hires be fully vaccinated from Covid-19 before their start date. The Covid-19 situation continues to evolve and the previous vaccination requirements for all current City employees and new hires may be re-instated, should the prevailing status change. The City of Whitehorse continues to follow the direction and recommendations from Yukon’s Chief Medical Officer of Health (CMOH) and public health authorities.
Job seekers are required to create an online profile and submit their application electronically through the City's online Applicant system via www.whitehorse.ca/careers. Instructions on applications are provided at https://www.whitehorse.ca/departments/human-resources/how-to-apply. If you have any further questions regarding this posting, please contact the recruiter at [email protected]
To apply for this position, you are required to submit your resume.
Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the recruiting process.
At the time this posting closes, candidates must have valid and current licenses/certifications/education that match the position requirements. Candidates who are selected to continue with the recruiting process will be required to provide proof of qualifications during their interview.