|Utility Operator 3|
Utility Operator 3
Company : Halifax Regional Municipality
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Nova Scotia
Halifax Regional Municipality is inviting applications for one (1) temporary, full time (up to 12 months) position of Utility Operator 3 in the Parks Division of Parks & Recreation. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women applying to non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities and Aboriginal persons and persons from the LGBTQ+ Community. HRM encourages applicants to self-identify.
Please note that this is a repost of 6256BR. If you applied to the original posting, you do not need to reapply and your application has been considered.
As a Utility Operator 3, you will perform a wide variety of skilled duties related to the maintenance and repair of municipal property and will use specialized tools and equipment and/or assist skilled trades people in the performance of their duties to contribute to meeting the operational objectives of the business unit and HRM. This position is involved in activities that involve noise, vibrations, dust and fumes and will assist in duties as a member of the work crew in the regular work program performing labour functions and other related duties.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Operate light vehicles and equipment such as but not limited to the following: 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton truck;
- Routine internal and external maintenance tasks such as litter control, general clean up, lawn care, pick and shovel work, sod restoration, routine maintenance, and general painting;
- Load and unload equipment and materials;
- Maintain and safely operate assigned tools/equipment;
- Labourer functions related to assisting other classifications operations’ staff with various tasks;
- Work safely and cooperatively assisting other classifications;
- Attend work on regular basis;
- Other duties as may be assigned.
Education and Experience
- Grade 12 or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Must have a valid Class 5 NS driver's license and provide current Driver Abstract as applicable;
- Must have a good attendance and work record;
- Participation in the Snow & Ice Program as per Schedule ‘C' of the Collective Agreement including shift work.
Technical/Job Specific Knowledge and Abilities
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills;
- Must be willing to accept occupational related training and achieve proficiency in operation of snow and ice equipment.
Security Clearance Requirements: Applicants may be required to complete an employment security screening check.
Please note – Testing may be conducted as a component of the selection process to assess technical and job specific knowledge. Candidates, who are selected for testing, may be tested in a group setting, scheduled at the employer’s discretion. Interviews, testing, and in-person recruitment activities are being conducted in adherence with current COVID-19 Public Health protocols.
Candidates must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position and have valid licensing, as required.
Please note – Applicants are responsible to include all information that they wish to have taken into consideration in the review of their application, and applicants are required to provide full details of experience or training referenced in the posting. Applicants may be screened out of this competition at preliminary stages of review based on the insufficiency of the information provided, and the award of this position may be made solely on the basis of the information provided in the electronic submission without any requirement that the Employer contact the candidate for further elaboration on information referenced in the application.
Competencies: Communication, Teamwork & Cooperation, Customer Service, Values & Ethics, Organizational Awareness, Valuing Diversity
WORK STATUS: One (1) temporary, full time position (up to 12 months)
HOURS OF WORK: Regular hours of work are Monday to Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., or other shifts as per Schedule B of the CUPE 108 Collective Agreement November 1, 2017 - October 31, 2022.
SALARY: $24.52 per hour as per CUPE 108 Collective Agreement November 1, 2017 - October 31, 2022.
WORK LOCATION: 5711 Sackville Street, Halifax (Supervisor: Sean Street)
CLOSING DATE: Applications will be received up to 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, May 19, 2022.
This is a bargaining unit position. External applicants will only be considered if there are no qualified bargaining unit candidates.
Please note: We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for interview/testing will be contacted.
During the recruitment process, applicants have the right to request an accommodation. Applicants invited to participate in an assessment process (such as an interview or testing) and who require accommodation, should discuss their needs with the Recruiter when invited to the assessment process.
(Position # 72291767)