|Senior Environmental Policy Analyst|
Senior Environmental Policy Analyst
Company : Government of Saskatchewan
Salary : $41.17 - $51.60 an hour
Location : Saskatchewan
The Ministry of Environment takes a team-based approach to protect Saskatchewan’s environment for the well-being of the province, its people, and its future. We use science-based solutions and environmental laws to help safeguard communities and to protect our air, land, water, and habitat. We are committed to high citizen and client satisfaction through workplace excellence, continuous improvement, and innovation.
The Cumulative Impacts and Science Branch within the Ministry of Environment implemented a new approach for examining cumulative effects issues to enhance capacity for informed land and resource use decision-making. To support our mandate and this exciting work, the Cumulative Impacts and Science Branch is hiring a permanent full-time Senior Environmental Policy Analyst located in Regina.
Reporting to the Manager of Analysis, the Senior Environmental Policy Analyst will independently conduct policy analysis and syntheses, research and interprets strategically relevant scientific data from theory and conventional practice on nature-based solutions, biodiversity conservation, net-zero pathways, and climate change responses to inform and integrate into overall analysis design and development of models and scenario structures.
This senior-level position will be responsible for:
- interpreting scientific and policy literature relating to cumulative effects analysis and environmental sciences;
- conducting policy analysis and syntheses;
- identifying, acquiring, assessing, and organize quantitative and qualitative data;
- scanning and synthesizing of emerging science and high-level international, federal, and provincial trends and objectives related to nature-based solutions, biodiversity conservation, net-zero pathways, and climate change responses, and
- providing advanced technical interpretations of analysis results and documents to various third parties, stakeholders, and ministry delegates.
The successful candidate
The Senior Environmental Policy Analyst is a detailed, analytical professional who will utilize their work experience in policy and science to synthesize policy and scientific information and findings efficiently, effectively, and holistically into various correspondence. You will provide timely, advanced, and practical scientific interpretation and communication of analysis findings, as well as communicate highly complex and technical material to various audiences, stakeholders, and project collaborators simultaneously while maintaining scientific defensibility and emphasizing practical and policy relevance.
Typically, the knowledge and experience required to achieve the above are obtained through a degree in environmental science and public policy and/or a minimum of five years of professional experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Success in this role:
To be successful in this role you will be competent in the following:
- theory and principles of land and resource management, climate change resilience, natural disturbance and landscape ecology, social-ecological system approaches, and cumulative effects;
- public policy theory and principles in environmental science, and climate change (provincial, federal, and international levels);
- policy analysis and syntheses, and
- quantitative and qualitative data research methodologies.
What we offer
The Saskatchewan Public Service offers several employment advantages such as:
- Vacation, earned days off (EDOs),
- Competitive salary,
- Comprehensive benefits package including pension,
- Professional development and advancement opportunities,
- Inclusive work environments, and
- Support for work-life balance.