New Job Planning Technician In Newfoundland And Labrador
Company : Town of Torbay
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Newfoundland and Labrador
The beautiful Town of Torbay is a vibrant community with over 7,900 residents on the Avalon Peninsula of Newfoundland and Labrador. Torbay is home to over 150 businesses, three schools, and numerous community groups. Situated on the doorstep of the Atlantic Ocean, Torbay offers breathtaking views in a scenic, rural setting. Conveniently bordering the capital City of St. John's, many urban amenities, including major retail centers and an international airport, are all within a few minutes' drive.
The Town is currently searching for a motivated, energetic and enthusiastic individual to join our team as a Planning Technician. Reporting to the Director of Planning and Development, the Planning Technician is responsible for the practical application of the Town's Planning and Development function, which includes the registration, coordination and processing of development applications, electronic information and file record maintenance.
The Planning Technician will assist in receiving, reviewing, and approving development applications that comply with the Town of Torbay's Municipal Plan and Development Regulations. The Planning Technician will work with the Director of Planning & Development and other Town staff to review larger scale applications and requests for commercial development and sub-division agreements. The position is responsible to answer development inquiries, review development applications, determine compliance or non-compliance, communicate with the applicant, and prepare background reports and put forth recommendations to developers and Council for response or decision. In general, the Planning Technician will become extremely familiar with the municipal plan and the Town's development regulations and will put forth amendments to the municipal plan and development regulations (as required) to assist with the overall maintenance and updating of regulations and with the proper planning and development of all areas of the Town of Torbay.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
Specifically, the Planning Technician will:
- Help provide information to the public and to builders and developers about municipal plan policies, the development regulations, zoning, other Town regulations and guidelines, and the development application process.
- Gather and compile information and data pertaining to proposed developments, prepare background reports and provide recommendations on behalf of the
- Department to developers and to Council.
- Complete a review of files, prepare and issue approvals in principle, development permits, compliance letters, public notices and other related documents in accordance with acceptable and established practices and procedures.
- Aid in receiving and processing development applications, meeting with builders and developers to review their plans and to discuss information regarding their development proposals.
- Assist in putting forth recommendations on development proposals and will advise developers accordingly in making development applications compliant thereby increasing the likelihood of approval.
- Help with interpreting and applying information, maps, surveys, and data pertaining to development inquiries and development applications.
- Coordinate and attend site visits of proposed development sites and prepare recommendations based on the information gathered.
- Help enforce development standards and development conditions as it relates to setbacks, lot area, side yards, building grades, parking requirements, and other relevant conditions pertaining to the town's development applications.
- Help prepare permit listings, charts, graphs, maps, background information, statistics, and other supporting data relating to development applications or inquiries for Town record and other agencies.
- Provide information related to planning and development to other Town Departments and government agencies.
- Help coordinate inquiries relating to building, zoning, recreational/open space, conservation areas, development potential, population changes, household demographics, and vacant land, etc.
- Work closely with the Assessment and Taxation Clerk, as well as with the Town's Mapping Division to update property ownership and parcel information to ensure the accuracy and integrity of the Town's Mapping & Assessment information and files.
- Provide critical technical support to planning staff and to developers relating to the town's planning and development department.
- Interpret aerial photography, subdivision plans, land records, plot plans, survey data, source maps, and other data relating to planning and development.
- Process information pertaining to subdivision or consolidation of land or ownership transfers.
- Fairly and consistently interpret, apply, and enforce Torbay's Municipal Plan and Development Regulations.
- Put forth recommendations for amendments to the Municipal Plan or to the Torbay Development Regulations as required.
- Help prepare and execute development agreements which are in compliance with approved plans and regulations.
- Offer professional advice and direction on amending applications for compliance (as necessary), or otherwise make recommendations to the proponent and/or council on improving developments to better serve the public interest.
- Serve in the position of Acting Director of Planning and Development on a temporary basis from time to time as required.
- Work with Planning and other Town staff to consider strategies to optimize
- development opportunities in keeping with the vision and direction outlined in the Town's Strategic Plan.
- Help maintain accurate records and files related to planning and development and related correspondence.
- Assist with public consultation, as well as organization of public engagement and attendance at public meetings as required by provincial and/or municipal regulations or as directed by the Director of Planning and Development.
- Provide research and documentation that supports development using the latest technology and software information.
- Help maintain development records and files and assist with general records management pertaining to the Planning & Development function.
- Perform routine office duties and functions to support a well-managed and properly maintained department.
- Put forth recommendations to the Director related to budgetary considerations, especially in the areas of electronic technology and support systems requirements.
- Help ensure technology, software, equipment, and other resources related to planning and development are properly maintained.
- Promote the Town's vision, values, priorities and objectives to staff, colleagues, and the public.
- Foster effective working relationships based on mutual respect and accountability to citizen interests.
The ideal candidate must possess:
- A minimum of five (5) years of practical working knowledge and experience in the area of municipal planning & development;
- A degree in Urban Planning or a Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology, or equivalency in certification and training in the area of planning and development;
- Full membership or eligibility for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) or Association of Architectural Engineering Technicians and Technologists (AETTNL);
- A strong working knowledge of the Urban & Rural Planning Act, Municipalities Act and National Building Code of Canada as well as a solid knowledge of software and database management skills;
- Demonstrated interpersonal, communication and analytical skills;
- Strong problem-solving skills, prioritizing and multi-tasking skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as part of a professional team in a fast-paced environment.
- An equivalent combination of training and/or experience to support the Town's Planning & Development Department function may be deemed acceptable by the town.
Applications complete with a cover letter and resume can be emailed, in confidence to
Mark Whalen, Director of Human Resources at [email protected] no later than 4PM on Friday December 3rd, 2021.
The Town of Torbay wishes to thank all interested applicants. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.