New job Traditional Counselor and Liaison Officer in Northwest Territories
Traditional Counselor and Liaison Officer
Company : Government of the Northwest Territories
Salary : $88,000 - $106,000 a year
Location : Northwest Territories
This Job Opening is limited to Aboriginal Persons indigenous to the present boundaries of the Northwest Territories and includes any aboriginal person resident at birth and any Canadian aboriginal persons who have lived more than half of their life in the Northwest Territories.
The mandate of the Department of Justice is to administer justice, including policing, community justice, victims services and corrections in the Northwest Territories. This mandate will be carried out in a manner which respects community and indigenous values and encourages communities to assume increasing responsibilities.
Reporting to the Warden at Fort Smith Correctional Centre, the Traditional Counselor and Liaison Officer delivers traditional based programs to clients on an individual basis or in a group setting as directed by legislation, in order to provide opportunities for rehabilitation and reintegration into society. This position liaisons with program staff and management regarding traditional programming and may provide escort services for inmates while in custody. The incumbent is a Peace Officer while on duty at the Fort Smith Correctional Centre.
Some of the knowledge, skills and abilities required for the position are:
- Thorough knowledge of traditional based programming;
- Proven theoretical understanding of human behaviour and offender issues;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including problem solving, decision making and facilitation with the ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing;
- Knowledge of and the ability to use MS Operating Systems, MS Office, Internet and E-mail applications;
- Knowledge of Corrections policies and procedures;
- Ability to think objectively and work in a diverse environment.
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
A post secondary certificate in a Social Science or related field with 1 year of experience in counseling.
Fort Smith HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
195 MCDOUGAL ROAD
FORT SMITH, NT X0E 0P0
Tel (867) 872-6500
Fax (867) 872-3298
Note: If you do not receive electronic notification confirming receipt of your application, please follow up via telephone.