New job Maintenance Person 1, Utility Systems in Yukon
Maintenance Person 1, Utility Systems
Company : City of Whitehorse
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Yukon
Job posting closes: Thursday, October 21, 2021 at 5:00 pm Yukon Time
An Eligibility List may be established from this competition – the duration of the eligibility list may be up to 12 months. The eligibility list may be used to fill future* permanent full-time, permanent part-time, temporary full-time, temporary part-time, term or casual *vacancies within the same department and classification based on the organizational needs by going to the next highest ranked candidate until the eligibility list expires.
This position is covered by a collective agreement between the City of Whitehorse and the Public Service Alliance of Canada/Yukon Employees Union.
The City wishes to thank all applicants for their interest but only those candidates selected to advance in the recruitment will be contacted. Note that only those candidates eligible to legally work in Canada will be considered.
Maintenance Person 1, Utility Systems
Job Code: 121
Department: Water and Waste Services
The incumbent assists with the installation, operation, inspection, repairs and maintenance of the water distribution, and waste/storm water collection systems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Maintain and repair fire hydrants, valves and auxiliary equipment.
2. Thaw water and sewer services and mains and set up pumps for dewatering.
3. Implement the summer vactor program including flushing of manholes and storm and sewer mains.
4. Read and interpret maps, blue prints and service records.
5. Monitor and report ground temperature readings.
6. Transport equipment, materials and supplies to work sites and perform laboring duties.
7. Maintains the equipment, performs inspections, reports defects, (assists with minor repairs) and records daily operations in the vehicle log book.
8. Respond to public inquiries and report complaints.
9. Act as Maintenance Person 2, Utility Systems as assigned.
10. Follow, so far as is reasonably practicable, established safety procedures and standards.
11. Other related duties.
This description contains elements necessary for identification and evaluation of the job. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.
Continuous exposure to disagreeable conditions such as dust/dirt, fumes/odours, inclement weather, temperature extremes, bodily wastes/fluids, human waste, fats, oils, rancid food grease, raw sewage, hazardous chemicals, work in confined spaces and noise requiring hearing protection. Work may also be carried out in roadways and traffic areas.
Required Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Completion of Grade 12 or GED
- EOCP Level 1 Certification in Water Distribution and Waste Water Collection or ability to obtain within 24 months of hire.
- Continuous education/training to maintain Safety and EOCP Certifications.
- Steamer Operators Ticket or the ability to obtain within 12 months of hire.
- 6 months on the job training.
- Class 3 driver's license with air endorsement.
- Confined Space Entry Certificate.
- Cross Connection and Backflow Prevention.
- Yukon Electrical Safety Course.
- Rigging and Hoisting.
- TDG & WHMIS.
- Standard First Aid, CPR Level C.
- Trench Safety & Fall Arrest.
- Traffic Control.
- Proven ability to concentrate, pay attention to detail, organize, priority set and be a team player.
- Ability to work with little supervision and function in a multidiscipline environment.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Examples of Equipment to Operate:
Service trucks, van truck, ride-on compactors, skid steer, vactor, truck/van steamer, hand tapping tools, metal detectors, dewatering pumps, various generators, electric rota-router, jack hammer, electric winch/crane, hot water thaw pumps, manual sewer tapes, tampers, power and hand tools, breathing apparatus, gas detectors, winch/tripod/harness, fork lift, heaters, and computer with applications such as Outlook, Word, Excel, ERP, Work Tech and Maintenance Management System.
Job seekers are required to create an online profile and submit their application electronically through the City's online Applicant system via www.whitehorse.ca/careers. Instructions on applications are provided at https://www.whitehorse.ca/departments/human-resources/how-to-apply. If you have any further questions regarding this posting, please contact the recruiter at HR@whitehorse.ca.
To apply for this position, you are required to submit your resume.
Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the recruiting process.
At the time this posting closes, candidates must have valid and current licenses/certifications/education that match the position requirements. Candidates who are selected to continue with the recruiting process will be required to provide proof of qualifications during their interview.
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: Multiple Locations