New job Planner I (Temporary) in Alberta
Planner I (Temporary)
Company : Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo
Salary : $42.65 an hour
Location : Alberta
Position Type/ Hours:
This is a temporary full-time position working seventy (70) hours bi-weekly for approximately twelve (12) months within the Community Development Planning (Statutory Plans) Branch of the Planning and Development Department. This position is within the CUPE 1505 Bargaining Unit. This position is located in the community of Fort McMurray, the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo's urban centre.
Under general supervision the incumbent will review, evaluate and make decisions on development permit applications, variance applications and requests for site plan approvals. Assist with the investigation and analysis of community planning issues to address future growth requirements, and on the process of statutory plan and Land Use Bylaw amendments. May review and process subdivision applications in accordance with sound subdivision design principles, the Municipal Government Act, the Subdivision and Development Regulations and the Land Use Bylaw. The incumbent may also assist in the preparation and administration of subdivision development agreements.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Function as a Development Officer for the Municipality, in accordance with the Land Use Bylaw.
- Initiate actions to enforce compliance with provisions of the Land Use Bylaw.
- Develop annual goals/objectives.
- Actively contribute to Department Business Plan.
- Prepare and process Land Use Bylaw and Statutory Plan amendments for review and presentation to municipal authorities and Regional Council.
- Conduct studies on land use and development issues and goals.
- Review Land Use Bylaw and Statutory Plans for conformance with current municipal needs.
- Write reports and make presentations to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board.
- Provide functional guidance to technical and clerical staff as required.
- Receive and examine subdivision applications, prepare reports and recommendations for the Subdivision Authority according to the Municipal Government Act, Subdivision and Development Regulations and the Land Use Bylaw.
- Research and analyse the physical, economic, social, geographic and technical factors that affect community and regional development.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- University Degree in Urban Planning or related discipline. An equivalent combination of post-secondary education and direct work experience may be considered.
- Preference given to candidates with direct experience.
- Knowledge of computer based applications is required.
- Familiarity with AutoCAD is preferred.
- Valid Alberta Class Five (5) driver's licence is required.
You will possess the following:
- Effective communication, presentation, interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills are required.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, and tactfully handle complex and difficult planning and development enquires.
- Proven ability to read and interpret engineering plans, drawings, and specifications.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD is preferred.
- Must be willing to attend meetings outside regular work hours and work outdoors in all weather conditions.
$42.65 (Temporary Rate)
**All CUPE job rates are currently under review and are subject to change.
In addition to the rate of pay, we offer other attractive incentives:
- an additional bi-weekly payment of $480 which represents a cost of living allowance
September 26, 2021, at 11:59 PM
Internal & External (Posted: September 11, 2021)
To apply: Please visit our website at www.rmwb.ca
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, only those individuals
selected for interviews will be contacted.
Late applications will not be accepted.