New job Junior Project Engineer in Nova Scotia
Junior Project Engineer
Company : Irving Shipbuilding
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Nova Scotia
JUNIOR PROJECT ENGINEER
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20+ modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. This year, we delivered the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years and we're just getting started. The second ship will be delivered in 2021.
We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Junior Project Engineer.
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the LGBTQ+ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued.
- Degree or other tertiary qualifications in a discipline of Engineering or Project Management, or equivalent experience.
- Project Management experience in Maritime (ship building/support) programs.
- Experience of managing and working within a cross functional technical group.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in the following fields:
- Project Management or Engineering on large, complex defence projects
- Experience in project controls, tools, performance management, scheduling and project delivery
- Coordination with multiple organizations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of warship construction and configuration
- Knowledge of a shipyard production environment
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
Working as part of the Engineering Project Delivery Team, this role is primarily focused on the effective support to the management and delivery of a variety of activities, taskings, or deliverables to support the contracted CSC delivery tasks. In addition, the successful candidate will liaise / support Project Control activities across the Engineering Groups and the utility, application and continuous improvement of these processes. The role will assist the Engineering Project Managers to identify risks and / or issues and implement mitigating measures. This role will liaison with the all aspects of the Engineering Group and external stakeholder including Project Management, Supply Chain, Quality, and the RCN / Subcontractor as required.
The Junior Project Engineering role will:
- Conduct or support to assigned taskings, activities, or deliverables within the Engineering Group as required
- Support the coordination of Engineering activities as they relate to the efficient delivery of project outputs
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders
- Develop plans, processes and procedures as required to support the Engineering Project Delivery function in the execution of project delivery activities and in support of CSC project milestones
- Project Risk Management support
- Tracking and development of deliverables, actions and customer comments
- Communication of key project data to the project and engineering teams
- Liaising with the Project Management team to ensure progress, and other project data is aligned
- Configuration control between reporting data and the outputs from the Scheduling team
- Development of junior engineering project delivery team members
- Support a culture of teamwork, enthusiasm and a proactive nature within the team
Key attributes will include:
- Proactive - Requires little direction once tasked, acts on initiative, reads intent, uses judgement
- Innovative - Ability to learn or adapt new processes
- Flexible and adaptive to change
- Attention to detail (repeatable accuracy of data)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
All successful applicants must meet the following requirements:
- NATO Secret Clearance
- Canadian Controlled Goods Program
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies.
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as ‘Safety Sensitive’ where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Stephen Empringham at Empringham.firstname.lastname@example.org
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.