New job Administrative Assistant Economic Development in Ontario
Administrative Assistant Economic Development
Company : Niagara Region
Salary : $50,750 - $59,710 a year
Location : Ontario
Approximate Duration:12-18 months
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada’s most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada’s most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario’s most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Reporting to the Director, Economic Development, the Economic Development Administrative Assistant is responsible for providing confidential secretarial and administrative support and services to the Director and divisional staff. This role is also responsible for assisting in the planning, coordination and implementation of Divisional operations.
- Post-secondary degree/diploma in Office Administration, Business Administration, public administration, or other related discipline.
- Combination of education and experience may be considered.
- EDAC Accredited courses would be considered an asset.
- Minimum of three years’ experience at a senior administrative level
- Supporting partnerships among business, academic and government/agency stakeholders.
- Processing and maintaining confidential information.
- Managing records, files, correspondence and scheduling.
- Drafting emails, correspondence and editing reports to council
- Experience in the field of economic development or public administration is preferred.
- Previous experience with Council/Committee reporting software is preferred.
- Previous experience with an advanced Enterprise Resource Planning software is preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) is preferred
1. Provides day-to-day secretarial and administrative support to the Director and divisional staff by preparing confidential correspondence and reports, assisting with the planning, coordination, communication and implementation of Divisional operations.
- Receives visitors and responds to routine mail/electronic/phone inquiries by recording, screening and providing general information and assistance, while maintaining confidentiality.
- Coordinates administrative support to the division staff by scheduling teleconferences, meetings, maintaining appointment schedules, arranging committee meetings and travel arrangements, as required.
- Prepares correspondence, purchase order requests, legal documents, presentations, forms, summaries and information/statistical/financial reports. Correspondence or employee documentation may be confidential in nature.
- Highlights items of importance/sensitivity, ensuring they are brought to the Director’s and/or appropriate staff’s attention.
- Responsible for ensuring the successful completion of all relevant documentation and background information regarding meetings, and follow up on action items.
- Coordinates, reviews and finalizes Divisional reports and monitors approval process through E-scribe for reports and agendas for Council and Standing Committees, and track and follow up on Councillor Information requests.
- Assist in the development and logistics for workshops, training and facilitated sessions for staff of the division as well as various departmental team members across the Corporation, while working with Human Resources, external partners, consultants, etc.
- Coordinates Corporate / Divisional initiatives such as strategic planning sessions, training for new initiatives and provides support on Divisional projects, coordinating project activities managing timelines and ensuring outcomes are followed through
- Liaise with all departments to support process and procedure improvements i.e. E-scribe, PeopleSoft, EFMS, etc., and continuous work towards process improvements
- Responsible for encoding time and attendance into Kronos, liaise with HR as necessary, maintains attendance records for all Divisional staff, ensures tracking of all training requests and entries of completed training into PeopleSoft.
- Maintains necessary inventory of office supplies and ensures ordering and receipt of shipments.
- Coordinates meetings, preparing agenda packages, recording proceedings, and performing follow-up tasks for Committee/sub-committee meetings and Team Niagara meetings, completes and distributes minutes for follow-up as required, work with internal and external stakeholders
- Respond to inquiries to the office, receive visitors, screen telephone calls from various departments, elected officials, local area municipalities, public, consultants, other agencies, etc. and discuss with Director for follow up to be executed.
- Prepares, maintains and tracks general office and confidential files and correspondence (e.g., WHMIS updates, staff licensure/registration, performance appraisals, employee notices, requests for staff training, personnel requisitions, posting files, vacation and attendance record management, job descriptions, Workers compensation reports, etc.)
2. Acts as a department resource on programs and services, advising on divisional procedural matters.
- Promotes Economic Development projects on behalf of the division and answers questions from external stakeholders.
- Responds to general/routine inquiries, monitoring complaints and ensuring contentious/sensitive issues are brought to the Director/ Manager’s attention as appropriate.
- Addresses department and external requests and issues in a timely manner.
- Collaborates successfully and maintains strong relations with internal and external stakeholders coordinating their engagement.
- Maintains communication among the Economic Development Team and other Niagara Region departments.
- Assists Director in the successful advocacy with other levels of government including coordinating meeting requests and assisting with research and outreach.
- Submits Economic Development news / developments to relevant sources for publication (using both internal and external sources).
- Provides new-employee onboarding ensuring that proper equipment, furniture, ID and other appropriate training and documentation has been made available
3. Coordinates/Administrates special events, and meetings of behalf of the Economic Development Division, coordinating with internal and external resources as needed, and acting as the main point of contact for stakeholders.
- Special events include: conferences, tradeshows, inbound missions, visiting foreign delegations, meetings, etc.
- Assists divisional staff with event publicity including invitations, advertising, promotion and marketing material while ensuring all materials have been approved by the required authorities.
- Assists divisional staff with coordination of international outbound missions including travel arrangements, logistics and presentations material is prepared in advance.
- Assists with coordination of international inbound missions and liaises with external stakeholders to prepare travel arrangements, logistics and presentations.
- Coordinates Economic Development Team Building events including those associated with Team Niagara.
- Organizes and directs event volunteers (as required).
4. Undertakes special projects, research or other related duties, as requested by the Director and/or Manager with Divisional projects, Council Priorities and Corporate events
- Assists divisional staff by conducting background research (including internet research) for policy and planning initiatives of the Division, ensuring information is incorporated into reports.
- Undertakes, as directed, processes to improve, enhance and streamline administrative functions/systems related to the support of a wide range of operations support programs.
- Provides support, coordination and facilitation for various Corporate/Divisional projects (i.e. Council Strategic Priorities, corporate events, relocation of staff and divisions, etc.). Working with internal staff from various departments, coordinate information, budget analysis for project, plan and provide recommendations for action and implementation
5. Performs financial administrative support for the Director and divisional staff, including preparation of expense reports, purchasing card processing, initiating purchase requisitions.
- In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires the incumbent to undergo a Criminal Records Check and submit a Canadian Police Clearance Certificate.
- Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect. Must maintain ability to travel in a timely manner to other offices, work locations or sites as authorized by the Corporation for business reasons.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow’s challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.