New job Day Program Coordinator in Northwest Territories
Day Program Coordinator
Company : Government of the Northwest Territories
Salary : $69,000 - $82,000 a year
Location : Northwest Territories
This job opening is limited to residents living within the Sahtu Region.
The Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority (NTHSSA) offers challenging and exciting careers in health and social services delivery and administration in Canada’s North. The Territorial Authority has service locations in communities across the territory and a staff of more than 1,600 serving over 43,000 residents of the NWT and 5,900 residents of the Kitikmeot Region of Nunavut. Challenging work, welcoming communities, and expanded opportunities are some of the benefits offered to employees of the NTHSSA.
The Day Program is based in the Sahtu Dene Necha K(> Long Term Care Facility. The Day Program Coordinator reports to the Regional Manager, Continuing Care Services. This position is responsible for planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating the social, recreational and lifestyle events for this program. The Day Program Coordinator has two direct reports - two activity coordinators. The program works for the participants and families, LTC residents, community members and families and other care providers. The purpose is to provide such services as social interaction, healthy living events, respite services, meal services, provide socialization to reduce isolation and to support families. Community volunteerism roles are encouraged.
This position reports directly to the Regional Manager, Continuing Care Services, and consults with the Health and Social Services Centre Nurse in Charge and the Nursing Clinical Care Co coordinator of LTC in Norman Wells.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- The incumbent must have a solid knowledge of recreation therapy and/or be knowledgeable in current theory and practice of Day Program services.
- The incumbent must have experience working and communicating with older adults and/or have knowledge of geriatrics and the aging process.
- The incumbent must have experience working and communicating with persons with disability.
- The incumbent should have knowledge of the culture and traditions of northern peoples in the Sahtu region.
- The incumbent must have training or education in Recreation Therapy, Rehabilitation, Kinesiology, and/or Gerontology.
- The incumbent must have well-developed organizational, interpersonal and analytical skills and must be able to maintain a high degree of confidentiality and diplomacy.
- The incumbent must be able to work effectively in a cross-cultural situation.
- The incumbent must be computer literate.
- Ability to develop a network of resources within and outside the organization.
Typically the above gualifications would be attained by:
Completion of a Diploma in Recreational Health with 2 years of experience working in recreation, health or social care capacity or with persons' with disability/functional impairments with 6 months of supervisor experience.
Sahtu HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
2 MCKENZIE DRIVE
NORMAN WELLS NT X0E 0V0
Tel (867) 587-7150
Fax (867) 587-2173
Note: If you do not receive electronic notification confirming receipt of your application, please follow up via telephone.