New Job Building And Plumbing Inspector (Casual) In British Columbia
|Building and Plumbing Inspector (Casual)
Building and Plumbing Inspector (Casual)
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $42.46–$47.24 an hour
Location : British Columbia
The Municipality of North Cowichan (population 31,900) is located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on Southern Vancouver Island, between Nanaimo and Victoria. Our communities of Chemainus, Crofton, Maple Bay and the South End, including University Village, are home to a multitude of artistic, cultural and outdoor recreational activities. The Municipality provides a stable and varied work environment, competitive pay and benefits.
We are inviting applications from candidates with the proven skills, qualifications and abilities for the position of Building and Plumbing Inspector on a casual basis. If you are self-motivated, looking to take on a new challenge where you can make a difference, enjoy both responsibility and accountability with one of British Columbia's most inclusive and environmentally conscious municipalities, we look forward to receiving your application!
This position reports directly to the Chief Building Inspector and core responsibilities include undertaking all duties associated with building and plumbing inspections for urban, semi-urban, and rural residential and commercial developments during the various stages of construction, alteration and/or repair. The inspection services will ensure compliance with all regulatory codes, guidelines, and bylaws. Deployment to other duties may be required from time to time. The Building and Plumbing Inspector may also be required to perform some bylaw compliance duties.
Required Skills, Qualifications and Abilities:
- Completion of Grade 12.
- Level 1 to 3 certification with the Building Officials' Association of B.C. Candidates without Level 3 certification may be considered on condition that certification is obtained within four (4) years from the date of hire.
- Three (3) years of experience in a local government building department performing building/plumbing inspections, or a recognized equivalent of education and experience.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver's Licence; a satisfactory current driver's abstract will be required.
- Preference will be given to those candidates who have an Interprovincial Ticket in Carpentry and/or a Diploma of Building Technology from a recognized educational institution.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills, collaborator and problem-solver who makes sound recommendations consistent with legislative requirements while using tact and diplomacy.
- Superior knowledge of the BC Building Code including Part 7 (plumbing code).
- Knowledge of accepted building and plumbing practices and processes including zoning, subdivisions and issuance of permits.
- Keyboarding skills and the ability to work within a Windows environment.
- Knowledge of computer based information systems for building records, bylaw enforcement and business licensing and familiarity with Tempest would be considered an asset.
- Independence of judgment and capability of working with minimal supervision.
- The position may be physically demanding; candidate must be able to successfully perform all duties associated with the position. A medical certificate attesting to suitability for this position may be required.
This is a unionized position (CUPE Local 358) and the collective agreement may be viewed on our website.
Candidates being considered will be required to undergo a comprehensive evaluation of skills, qualifications, and abilities. The successful candidate will be required to undergo a police information check.