New Job Budget Associate, Fin In Quebec
|Budget Associate, FIN
Budget Associate, FIN
Company : United Nations
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Quebec
The Finance Branch is responsible for managing the financial resources of the organization, developing and applying budgetary, accounting and financial policies, procedures and controls. The Branch also plays a key role in the custody and distribution of financial resources and the monitoring of expenditures and the strengthening of ongoing compliance with the International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS). Accounting Services Section (ASV) and Financial Services Section (FSV) are two sections under the Finance Branch.
FSV encompases two units: Budget Unit responsible for budget development, controls, management, monitoring and reporting of the ICAO Budget and certain extra-budgetary funds; and Payroll Unit in charge of managing a payroll system for all ICAO staff members including the calculation, verification and balancing of payroll earnings and deductions.
The qualified candidate is required to perform the functions under the Budget Unit, report to the Budget Analyst with whom s/he consults on complex technical issues on budget and finance. The Head/Budget Unit will provide instructions on special tasks.
Maintains budget reports for budget management, achieving results such as:
- Maintain existing budget reports.
- Develop, in collaboration with the Information and Communication Technology Section (ICT), new reports to enhance budget management.
- Serve as focal point for managing access rights of all online reports and liaise with ICT to coordinate and ensure accurate and timely upload of reports for online access.
- Pro-actively monitor the integrity of budget performance reports and verify accuracy of data and information on budget utilization reports.
- Provide guidance and explanation to colleagues outside the Finance Branch (FIN) to enhance the understanding of budget reports.
- Assist in preparation of monthly budget performance reports for senior management and ensure accuracy and reconciliation with the General Ledger.
Function 2 (incl. Expected results)
Assists in various budget implementation activities, achieving results such as:
- Perform monthly account reconciliations and adjustments.
- Assist in preparation of year-end accruals for staff entitlements.
- Assist in year-end and year start-up activities
- Deliver periodic expenditure projections and ad-hoc cost estimates.
- Participate in creation of work orders and projects.
- Conduct periodic commitment review exercise
Function 3 (incl. Expected results)
Serves as a super-user/focal point for budget office-related systems, applications and databases, providing guidance and business support to users and assist in defining business requirements, achieving results such as:
- Provide support for the ERP system and other applications related to budget management.
- Liaise with ICT help desk support staff, coordinate and ensure prompt and efficient help desk service.
- Assist in gathering and analysing business requirements for the evolving BUD, conducting research for appropriate solutions and in developing functional specifications.
- Assist in the uploading of budget data into the ERP system as required.
- Participate in the testing of ERP system upgrades and development and implementation of enhancements.
Function 4 (incl. Expected results)
Assists in the management of all activities related to the Budget Checking module, achieving results such as:
- Evaluate budget check fail alerts and provide timely responses.
- Provide feasible and clear recommendations to resolve budget checking fails.
- Ensure regular maintenance and efficient follow up on messages received in BUD email in-boxes.
- Assist with preparation and upload of allotment transfers and ensure they are in accordance with the ICAO Financial Regulations and Rules.
- Perform budget availability for Mission Travel and ensure that adequate financial approvals are obtained.
- Maintain and update of allotment holders and other authorized users in Agresso (approvers of transactions).
Performs other related duties, as assigned.
Professionalism: Knowledge of IPSAS (International Public Sector Accounting Standards). Ability to apply financial rules, regulations and procedures in a public or private organization. Ability to identify and resolve data discrepancies and operational problems. Some knowledge of Structured Query Language (SQL), Microsoft Query or other query applications. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments. Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards. Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules. Provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments. Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Technological Awareness: Understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
Creativity: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; thinks "outside the box"; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
A Diploma of College Studies (DEC) or equivalent.
Additional training in information systems and/or financial management field.
- Fundamental experience in financial management is required.
- Experience in understanding and performing account reconciliation and analyses is required.
- Experience in using ERP systems and in using common desktop applications such as Microsoft Excel is required.
- Experience in the application of Financial Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and procedures, particularly of ICAO is desirable.
- Experience in using Agresso Unit 4 Business World software is desirable.
- Experience in analyzing data and preparation of reports is desirable.
- Experience in applying International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) is desirable.
Fluent reading, writing and speaking abilities in English.
Knowledge of any of the following languages of the Organization (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish).
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.Special Notice
The ICAO Assembly recently reaffirmed its commitment to enhancing gender equality and the advancement of women by supporting UN Sustainable Development Goal 5 “Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.”
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for ICAO positions, especially in the Professional and higher level categories.
It should be noted that this post is to be filled on a fixed-term basis for an initial period of three (3) years (first year is probationary for an external candidate).
ICAO staff members are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Secretary General and may be assigned to any activities or offices of the Organization within the duty station.
ICAO staff members are expected to conduct themselves in a manner befitting their status as international civil servants. In this connection, ICAO has incorporated the 2013 Standards of Conduct for the International Civil Service into the ICAO Personnel Instructions.
ICAO offers an attractive benefit package to its employees in accordance with the policies of the International Civil Service Commission (ICSC),
The statutory retirement age for staff entering or re-entering service after 1 January 2014 is 65. For external applicants, only those who are expected to complete a term of appointment will normally be considered.
Remuneration: Level Net Base Salary per annum
G-6 CAD 47,249
In accordance with ICAO Staff Regulations, the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Due regard shall be paid to the importance of recruiting staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible and ensuring equal gender representation. Subject to the foregoing, selection of staff members shall be made without distinction as to race, sex or religion, nor shall there be any discrimination on account of any disability of a candidate who meets the qualifications required to perform the tasks. Unless otherwise permitted under the ICAO Staff Regulations, appointment and promotion of staff members shall be made on a competitive basis.
Candidates will not be considered for employment with ICAO if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts.
Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, Inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the Inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in Inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised in Inspira will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
ICAO does NOT charge any fees or request money from candidates at any stage of the recruitment process, nor does it concern itself with bank account details of applicants. Requests of this nature allegedly made on behalf of ICAO are fraudulent and should be disregarded.