New Job Development Officer (Term Position) In British Columbia
|Development Officer (Term Position)
Development Officer (Term Position)
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : Details not provided
Location : British Columbia
Purpose and Scope
Reporting to the Development Engineering Supervisor, the Development Officer is responsible for working
with the planning, building and engineering functions to co-ordinate key permitting processes for the
Department. The main focus of the position is to ensure that proposed development complies with the City’s
planning and engineering regulations. A major component of the duties includes interacting with the public
with courtesy, tact, and diplomacy while explaining and administering permit processes and City regulations.
Nature and Scope of Work
- Reviews plans, drawings and specifications accompanying building permit applications for single-
and other regulatory requirements (i.e. development permits, restrictive covenants).
- Coordinates, processes and analyses other development related applications in terms of conformance
- Liaises with clients making development application to ensure the receipt of complete permit
- Provides advice and make recommendations to clients regarding required changes or corrections to
Inspectors or senior staff.
- Coordinates the distribution and/or referral of applications for review by various Municipal
- Collates and reviews referral responses, identifies conflicts in reviews between various departments
- Tracks, maintains, and reports on building permit statistics.
- Provides backup and support for Civic Addressing.;
- Responsible for reviewing and administering BC One inquiries.
- As required, performs site inspections for construction projects, signage, illegal suites, and soil
- Provides technical support to building, planning, bylaw enforcement and engineering functions.
- Maintains and administers all outstanding files and records, ensuring that permits are issued within a
- Participates in the planning, review, research and follow-up of on-going projects.
- Prepares and maintains records, statistics, reports and correspondence, including word processing
- Generates and provides comprehensive letters to applicants on basic technical matters and refers
- Calculates and receives permit fees according to prescribed policy and standard procedures.
- Maintains an up-to-date level of knowledge regarding land use planning, development and building
- Answers telephone and counter enquiries, directs visitors and phone calls.
Job Description – Development Officer
Page 2 of 2
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Working knowledge of provincial statutes, regulations, codes, related documents and municipal
- Working knowledge and understanding of Municipal Bylaws related to the issuance of building
- Basic knowledge and understanding of provincial legislation and municipal bylaws relating to land
- Basic knowledge of external regulatory requirements as they relate to permits.
- Familiar with interactive web maps or other GIS mapping systems.
- A general understanding of municipal government processes and structure.
- Working knowledge of WSBC regulations and safe work practices.
- Strong interpersonal, written and presentation skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and decision making skills.
- Excellent attention to detail with high quality work standards.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external customers and to
- Respond effectively to inquiries from the development and building industries, internal clients,
- Read and interpret legal plans, restrictive covenants and registered documents, maps, technical
- Provide information of a technical nature, clearly and concisely to various audiences.
- Work independently with minimal supervision in a team environment.
- Interpret regulations impartially and convey interpretations effectively.
- Establish priorities and schedule workload to meet deadlines.
- Ability and willingness to contribute to maintaining a respectful, safe and supportive work
- Two (2) year technical diploma from a recognized institution in a relevant area of study such as Civil
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class 5 BC Driver’s Licence and produce and maintain a clean
- Minimum two (2) years of related experience within the last five (5) years.
- Working knowledge of and/or experience working with relevant provincial statutes, regulations and
Preferred Criteria (External Postings):
- Experience in plan checking and the processing of development and building applications/permits in
- Experience working with Tempest/Prospero is considered an asset