New Job Technical Specialist (Computer Services Officer 3) In Nova Scotia
|Technical Specialist (Computer Services Officer 3)|
Technical Specialist (Computer Services Officer 3)
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $5,127–$6,244 a month
Location : Nova Scotia
Department: Service Nova Scotia and Internal Services
Type of Employment: Permanent
Union Status: NSGEU - NSPG
Closing Date: 1/27/2023 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
The Nova Scotia Digital Service (NSDS), a division of Service Nova Scotia and Internal Services (SNS-IS) is a team within government, and we are putting people first. We are called a digital service for a reason – because we are helping government work the way that people expect things to work these days.
Our team is large, diverse, and passionate about making a difference in peoples’ lives. We believe in user-centered iterative digital service design, and practice internet-era ways of working. Working at the NSDS means you will be a part of a team whose work makes a difference through designing, continuously improving and delivering the programs and services people need, alongside caring, compassionate, highly-skilled people.
At the NSDS, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate a supportive culture of diversity, inclusion and belonging!
The people who use government programs and services come from all walks of life. It is important that the NSDS reflects the people that we serve – so we can deliver better, and more accessible, and inclusive public services. We work hard to create an environment where different perspectives and experiences are valued. We are committed to helping diverse talent thrive.
About Our Opportunity
Reporting to the Manager, Server Operations, the Technical Specialist (Computer Services Officer 3) will provide guidance and specialized support services in Linux and some AIX environments. You will ensure the availability, deployment, and maintenance of IT assets both virtualized and physical. Working independently or as a team member, you will play a key role in operational support as well as project delivery to ensure a high level of service that allows us to meet or exceed the requirements of our users.
- Provides Tier 3 level technical support by providing deployment and support services for infrastructure running the Linux and AIX operating systems. This includes ensuring the stability, reliability, and resilience of the entire server landscape. Servers may host web-based applications, databases, productivity software, clinical and other services crucial to the people of the Province of Nova Scotia.
- This role will actively participate in diagnosing events and will be involved with implementing corrective actions to ensure timely resolution of IT issues.
- Lead cross-functional teamwork between Linux and AIX resources.
- Monitor and maintain hardware and software. Identify, recommend, and implement improvements where required.
- Work with clients to provision and decommission servers (virtual or physical) as required.
- Develops and implements IT guidelines and procedures for their area of expertise, keeping in line with the objectives of NSDS to ensure consistency and reliability of the services provided.
- Provides advice and training on the optimal use of IT assets to increase effective and efficient use by our clients.
- When assigned, act as the lead on small to medium-sized operational or project initiatives within the work unit.
- Support operational services and monthly maintenance, including downtime and participation in the rotation of 24/7 on-call coverage.
Qualifications and Experience
To be successful in this role, you will have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science plus a minimum of three (3) years of experience or graduation from a recognized Information Technology program plus three (3) years and six (6) months of experience (or the equivalent combination of training and experience).
In addition, you have:
- Extensive experience in supporting Linux environments and leading small projects and/or teams.
- Experience with Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and/or Solaris as well as applications such as the Red Hat Ansible Automation Platform, Red Hat Satellite, Centrify, Splunk, and Zabbix. Experience managing a high reliability AIX cluster using a SSP back end in a VIO environment is also highly desirable.
- Excellent communication (both verbal and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with clients, staff, peers, and management.
- The ability to be flexible and adaptable to changing business priorities.
The following are considered assets:
- Experience in dealing with on-premises as well as cloud-based virtualized environments (e.g. VM Ware and Azure/AWS/Google Cloud Services) and supporting large, mission-critical (7x24) environments.
- Knowledge of project management methodology, ITIL processes, and IT and security policies and procedures in Government.
We will assess the above qualifications and competencies using one or more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks.
An equivalent combination of training, education and experience will be considered. Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Based on the employment status and union agreement, the Government of Nova Scotia offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs. Click here to learn more about our various benefits offerings and eligibility criteria.
What We Offer
- An opportunity to fundamentally reshape the way programs and services are delivered for an ambitious, complex organization that serves nearly a million people and positively impact the lives of Nova Scotians.
- A position that comes with significant responsibility and opportunity to make an impact, interact regularly with senior officials, and shape the future of the province.
- Be a recognized internet-era technology leader via talks, events, blogging, and other mediums.
- The freedom and significant opportunity to shape a team and supplier ecosystem.
- A close-knit, collaborative team of digital leaders and an engaging workplace where our employees feel valued, respected, connected, and tuned in.
- Forward-thinking policies and strategies.
- Countless Career Paths and resources to develop yourself.
- Department specific flexible working schedules, to support your life at and outside work.
Pay Grade: PR 14
Salary Range: $2,563.74 - $3,121.84 Bi-Weekly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
This is a bargaining unit position initially restricted to current civil service employees represented by the Nova Scotia Government Employees Union (NSGEU). If applying from outside a government office, employees must apply correctly via this link:
Failure to apply correctly means that your application will not be given first consideration as a bargaining unit applicant, and will only be included if external applications are pursued.
External applicants and current casual employees will only be considered if there are no qualified civil service bargaining unit candidates. PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to [email protected].