New Job Light Equipment Operator In Alberta
|Light Equipment Operator|
Light Equipment Operator
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $44.08 an hour
Location : Alberta
Requisition ID: 1517
Affiliation: CUPE Municipal
Position Type: Temporary Full Time
Fixed Term Duration: Approximately three (3) months
Number of Openings: 1
Bi-weekly Working Hours: 84 hours bi-weekly
Department/ Branch: Public Works, Rural Operations
Job Location: Fort McMurray
Pay Level: PL10
Rate*: $ 44.08
COLA: Bi-Weekly - $480
Closing Date (dd/mm/yyyy): 15/01/2023
Posting Type: Internal and External
All CUPE job rates are currently under review and are subject to change.
Under general supervision, the Light Equipment Operator performs semi-skilled and manual labour, including the use of a variety of hand/power tools and other equipment as assigned. The incumbent operates and performs maintenance using assigned light equipment including, but not limited to, dump trucks/tandem trucks, flusher trucks, water trucks, sanders, street sweepers, self-propelled vibratory packers/rollers, road patchers, tractors with implements, loaders, rubber tire backhoes, snow blowers, chainsaws, multi-use equipment, mini excavator, and ploughing equipment used in year-round operations.
The work entails the responsibility for the safe and efficient operation of light equipment and is monitored by a Supervisor or Team Lead to ensure that the work meets with established standards. Responsibilities include the below duties.
Maintain assigned areas using various small hand and power tools.
- Operate and perform minor maintenance on assigned equipment.
- Clean, service, maintain, and perform minor operational repairs on assigned equipment.
- Complete pre/post-inspections and report any maintenance and/or operational issues to the Team Lead or Supervisor.
- Complete daily paperwork, forms, and reports detailing the condition of equipment and work performed.
- Perform general labour duties as required.
- Complete required planning to ensure equipment is maintained and fueled on schedule and as required.
- Complete training on equipment and participate in the RMWB training programs as required by operations.
- Complete Field Level Hazard Assessments (FLHAs) and incident reports as required.
- Traffic control.
- Support Parks programs and Winter Operations as operationally required.
- Perform other related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Ability to operate a range of equipment under varying conditions, being aware of surroundings and conditions at all times.
- Attention to detail and observational skills, with ability to detect minor defects in equipment used.
- Ability to read, interpret, and apply equipment manuals, diagrams, operating procedures and work plans.
- Ability to understand/follow verbal and written instructions, keep simple records, communicate respectfully with co-workers, and work effectively in a team environment.
- Considerable knowledge of occupational hazards, signage, use of personal protective equipment (PPE), and applicable safety precautions as per applicable legislation, and municipal and trucking/heavy equipment industry standards.
- Familiarity with methods, procedures, quality standards, and safety manuals relative to each job being performed.
- Ability to work independently, demonstrating responsibility and reliability.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or GED equivalent is required.
- First Aid Certificate is an asset.
- One (1) year of experience operating equipment and vehicles related to municipal operations is required as per the following specifications:
- Light Equipment Operator supporting Rural Operations – One (1) year of experience operating one or any combination of water truck, loader, and rubber tire backhoe.
Ability to provide a Criminal Record Check for review and acceptance.
- A valid Class Three (3) Operator’s License is required as incumbent will be required to operate a personal or municipal vehicle for business use on a regular basis.
- Q-endorsement (Air Brakes) is required.
- A valid Class One (1) Operator’s License is an asset.
- A safe driving record; any infractions will be reviewed.
- Equipment field testing and/or competency testing will be required as part of the interview evaluation.
- Must be willing to work outside in all conditions.
- Immunizations are strongly recommended for work in unsanitary conditions.
- Must be medically and physically able to perform all duties of the position on an ongoing basis.
- Auditory testing may be required.
- Ability to work a rotating shift that includes holidays, evening/night shift, and weekends.
As an employee of the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, the incumbent is responsible for understanding and actively participating in the RMWB’s health and safety management system, including all policies, practices, procedures, as well as properly utilizing all control measures including the required use of personal protective equipment. All employees must take reasonable care to protect the health and safety of themselves and others, as well as immediately report any concerns, near misses, incidents, and hazardous conditions to their supervisor.
To apply: Please visit our website at jobs.rmwb.ca
Current employees must apply through the internal careers site.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, only those individuals
selected for interviews will be contacted. Late applications will not be accepted.