New Job Legal Assistant In Ontario
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $70,019–$79,532 a year
Location : Ontario
Reporting to the Counsel, Construction Law, provides confidential, legal and administrative support, including drafting or preparing correspondence, legal documents and various court documents for the Associate Counsel, Senior Associate Counsel and Counsels and administrative and management of legal practice.
- Drafts and/or prepares agreements, contracts, statements, affidavits, corporate searches, correspondence, documentation pertaining to construction matters, development law and litigation, including various court documents relative to claims by and against the Regional Corporation and York Regional Police, and attendance at the appropriate court office to file pleadings, as assigned.
- Administers and processes legal documents and ensures security, insurance requirements and authorization within the limitation period are met to protect the legal and financial interests of the Region; arranges for signature, execution and registration of documents and agreements.
- Assists in drafting and in the preparation of confidential correspondence, documents and reports.
- Maintains filing system, precedents etc. and updates records and lists to ensure accuracy; files correspondence, reports and other documents in accordance with Regional standards and assists with records management (Versatile).
- Produces and distributes documents, ensuring security and confidentiality of information.
- Ensures receipt and appropriate distribution of Regional fees and charge monies.
- Acts as the communications link between the Counsel staff and cross-department staff, politicians, outside agencies and the public.
- Participates in meetings, staff committees and work groups as assigned.
- Provides back-up coverage, as required, during the absences of other Legal Assistants.
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet Branch and Department objectives.
- Successful completion of a post-secondary education in a Legal Assistant Program or equivalent approved combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of five (5) years legal administrative experience in a private or public law practice.
- Thorough knowledge of the preparation of various legal documents, contracts, agreements, records and file systems, and clerical administrative practices.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability in corporate core competencies including customer service, communication, teamwork, initiative/self-management and accountability, and flexibility/adaptability.
- Computer literacy utilizing MS Office software applications.
- Demonstrated ability to research/investigate issues and resolve problems.