New Job Labourer - Works In Ontario
|Labourer - Works|
Labourer - Works
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $29.28 an hour
Location : Ontario
Permanent Full Time (CUPE 136)
Open to all current Town of Oakville employees and external applicants
Applications for this position must be received at oakville.ca by no later than 11:59 pm on January 13, 2023.
Works Labourers are responsible for the safe operation, maintenance and service of Roads and Works equipment, and the performance of physical labour as required. Functions performed in this position are in accordance with established procedures and practices. Work is checked and reviewed as well. This position will also:
- Pick up debris and litter from roadsides, creeks, parking lots, etc.
- Hand dig and back fill where necessary for storm sewer, catch basin and manhole repairs and assist in the placement of pipe, manholes and catch basins
- Prepare ground by hand digging, raking and laying sod
- Collect leaves, limbs and brush; rake and clean up areas
- Hand shovel hot/cold asphalt; rough rake; sweep and clean up for asphalt repair
- Shovel snow and salt walkways as required
- Implement traffic control plan and act as a flag person on roadways
- Act as a wing person on a snowplow, or may drive a sander or a plow during winter maintenance operations
- Assist in the maintenance and seasonal conversion of equipment
- Patrol roads, operate trucks, small equipment and tools as required
- Maintain vehicles and equipment in a clean, tidy condition, making regular inspections, reporting defects, etc. in a prescribed manner
- Work a fixed or rotating shift during the winter season and possibly be required to work weekend and holiday shifts. Candidates may be required to work shifts such as 5am to 1:30pm, 1:30pm to 10pm, or 12 hour shifts from 5am/pm to 5pm/am.
- May also be assigned periods of stand-by/on-call duties for overnights, weekends and holidays
- Apply safety precautions and procedures in the performance of duties in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and policies of the Town of Oakville
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Minimum of High School education or acceptable equivalent in education and experience.
- 1.5 years of previously related experience in operating various equipment and vehicles including: trucks, tractors, loaders, or winter control vehicles including snowplows, sanders and/or sidewalk plows.
- Ability to troubleshoot equipment and hand tools. Some knowledge of mechanics and hydraulics.
- Must hold and provide a copy of a valid and unrestricted Ontario Driver’s License Class DZ minimum (standard and automatic transmission) with a driving record that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behaviour. Note: Applicants with 6 or more points are ineligible for consideration. The successful applicant, who is a new hire, will be required to provide the Corporation with a current drivers abstract (no older than 30 days) and pass a Town administered road test prior to assuming the position.
- Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act is required. Capable of understanding/following the requirements of the Ontario Traffic Manual, Book 7.
- Effective communication skills both oral and written. Proficient time management skills and flexibility in adjusting between a variety of duties. Ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a team. Effective customer service skills required in dealings with the public, contractors and staff.
DATED: January 6, 2023.
The successful candidate will be required to submit proof of full vaccination in accordance with the town’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy and Procedure. Accommodation requests for new hires that are unable to get vaccinated against COVID-19 for reasons protected under the Ontario Human Rights Code, must be made in writing to the Human Resources department.
This job profile reflects the general requirements necessary to perform the principal functions of the job. This does not include all of the work requirements of the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate through their application and in the interview & selection process that their qualifications match those specified. The minimum threshold score for the testing, practical assessment and interview components of the recruitment process is 70%.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.