New Job Forestry Journeyperson 1 In Ontario
|Forestry Journeyperson 1|
Forestry Journeyperson 1
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Ontario
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2023
Job Number: CC-23-01
Job Type: Casual Full-time, Up to 8 months, Union
Position Closing Date: Wednesday, January 25, 2023
The City of Barrie is a vibrant, progressive, and growing community with deep connections to our heritage, to nature and to the opportunities surrounding us.
Our community values quality of life; the ability to play year-round with 300 hectares of park space, our beautiful waterfront, our lively downtown core and the nearby hills, wetlands, and forests. We also value connections; to our neighbours and the community, to our road and rail network, and to the opportunity Barrie provides to enjoy life.
Everything Barrie has to offer, from the water we drink to the roads we travel on, has one thing in common - municipal workers. Joining a municipality is one of the most rewarding, engaging, and exciting careers you could choose. It is a career you can take pride in knowing that every day you make a positive impact on an entire community. We are one team, with one goal and we all work together to continue making our community great.
The Oppo rtunity
The Parks and Forestry Branch is part of the City of Barrie’s Operations Department. The Branch is responsible for the management, maintenance, and ongoing care of over 3,100 acres of waterfront, parkland and open space including 127 parks and 145 kilometers of trails. Services include horticulture displays and maintenance, turf management, shoreline maintenance, maintenance of parks amenities such as playgrounds, play courts, picnic shelters, and spray pads, waste collection, landscape construction, City's outdoor rink program, greenhouse operations, trails maintenance, and winter snow removal operations.
Under the general guidance and direction of the Forestry Foreperson, the Forestry Journeyperson 1 position is part of a front-line team directly responsible for performing all required maintenance of municipal trees within the City of Barrie. Maintenance activities include the inspection, pruning, removal and replacement of trees on streets and in active and passive parkland throughout the City. This position acts as a crew leader in the field as well as assists the Forestry Foreperson position with day-to-day responsibilities related to urban arboriculture and is integral in ensuring that the citizens of Barrie enjoy a safe urban forest along with all of the benefits that a healthy urban forest canopy provides.
Our Culture and Qualifications of the Job
- Your workplace values align with our corporate values of Strive, Share and Care and you want to join us in providing exceptional services and programs to build a prosperous, growing and sustainable community
- One (1) year College Certificate in Arboriculture, Urban Forestry, or related discipline
- Chainsaw Safety and Cutting Techniques Certificate from an accredited association, organization, or institution
- Three (3) years of experience performing duties related to the above mentioned major responsibilities within an arboriculture or urban forestry work environment
- Working knowledge of the following legislation as it relates to arboriculture and urban forestry operations:
- Electrical Safety Authority (ESA)
- Endangered Species Act
- Forestry Act
- Highway Traffic Act
- Ontario Traffic Manual – Book 7 – Temporary Conditions
- Commercial Vehicle Operator’s Registration (CVOR)
- International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) Best Practices
- Municipal Act
- Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Working knowledge of:
- chainsaw and wood chipper maintenance
- dendrology principles, which involves tree identification and classification
- urban forestry and arboriculture principles and practices
- General knowledge of:
- hazard tree assessments
- hydraulics and hydraulic systems
- plant health care and integrated pest management principles and practices
- tree inventory update and maintenance procedures
- Demonstrated ability to:
- exert effort to lift, push, pull, or carry objects for short and long periods of time
- identify problems; develop and evaluate options; and implement solutions utilizing reason, judgment, and prescribed resources
- interact effectively and courteously with all levels of staff and contacts in a political and community/client service environment
- perform in a manner which is consistent with corporate goals, vision, mission, and values
- read and interpret plans, maps and infrastructure drawings
- run, operate, maneuver, navigate, or drive vehicles or mechanized equipment
- select applicable tools, equipment, or resources to complete tasks
- Basic computer literacy utilizing Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, and Word), tree inventory software, and computerized maintenance management systems (CMMS)
- Availability to work outside of schedule work hours to perform standby, overtime, or emergency response duties
Conditions of Employment
- Valid Ontario Class “D” Driver’s Licence with a “Z” endorsement in good standing
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check*
- Please note that this is a requirement of the position for any new employees to the City of Barrie in accordance with the Police Record Check Procedure. Existing employees will be grandparented from this requirement.
Other Important Information
Location: Operations Center, 165 Ferndale Drive North, Barrie, Ontario
Hours: The normal hours of work are 40 hours per week in accordance with the Collective Agreement.
Wage: This position is within the CUPE Local 2380 Bargaining Unit with the following pay level and 2023 pay range:
- Pay Level: Level 6
- Yearly Salary: $70,283.20 to $84,240.00 per year
- Hourly Pay Rate: $33.79 to $40.50 per hour
Don’t meet the credentials as outlined but have years of directly related experience? Please see the City’s Education Equivalency Procedure to determine if you may qualify for equivalency. Further information is available at www.barrie.ca/JobOpps.
- Position Equivalency Code: B
Please note that verification of educational credentials will be required from the preferred candidate prior to an employment offer.
The City of Barrie is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices and we will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise if you require Code-protected accommodation and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Disclaimer: The job posting has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of employees to do this job. For full position details, please request a copy of the Job Description by emailing [email protected] .
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.