New Job Engineering Work Experience Student (Mobility Strategies) In Alberta
|Engineering Work Experience Student (Mobility Strategies)|
Engineering Work Experience Student (Mobility Strategies)
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Alberta
Listen to Vivienne, an Engineering Work Experience Student, as she talks about her experience during her work term at the City of Edmonton. Listen now!
1 temporary full-time positions for 4 or 8 months, intended specifically for students currently enrolled in a civil engineering or related engineering co-op or equivalent post-secondary work experience degree program, commencing in May 2023
The City of Edmonton is a modern municipal corporation, serving nearly one million people and looking to attract and inspire one million more. With more than 300 programs and services, our work connects with almost every aspect of Edmontonians’ daily lives. The Planning and Environment Services Branch stewards the strategic planning for transportation, land use and environment systems, which together provide a framework for the development and human activity within The City of Edmonton. Within Planning and Environment Services, Mobility strategies focuses on providing strategic direction for Edmonton’s mobility system in order to support the direction provided in Edmonton’s City Plan.
Mobility strategies projects involve a wide range of transportation planning projects for motor vehicles, active transportation, and public transit. Work within mobility strategies will include being part of a multidisciplinary team working to support mobility projects such as the next stage of mass transit implementation, active modes stewardship and supporting the update of design standards for Edmonton’s streets. A position within mobility strategies will expose the candidate to a wide range of city building topics ranging from implementation of strategic policy to the political workings of a modern municipal corporation while providing opportunities for skill development.
In supporting the Mobility Strategies Unit, responsibilities include:
- Conduct research and review of planning studies/technical reports that supports Mass Transit implementation (Both LRT and non-LRT), transportation demand management and preparation for future technologies
- Interpret transportation modelling outputs and translate into recommendations for future design work
- Support in completing design and report reviews from consultants and other departments within the City
- Assist in the development of strategies and recommendations related to mass transit, parking and other related transportation topics
- Provide technical assistance through visual and simulation software in order to advance policy objectives
- Project management support duties such as preparing project documents, budget/schedule tracking and risk management
- Prepare and deliver presentations to colleagues, the public, and other stakeholders
- Contribute to the success of the Branch by providing logistical and technical support on a wide range of activities and events
- Shadow senior staff and learn how a municipal corporation functions in order to better perform duties
Note: This position may be a combination of working from home and on-site working conditions.
- Currently enrolled in a civil engineering or related engineering co-op or equivalent post-secondary work experience degree program
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research and analysis with proven attention to detail
- Proficiency using Google Workspace applications
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and ability to maintain strong working relationships
- Demonstrate alignment with the Cultural Commitments of Safe, Helpful, Accountable, Integrated and Excellent, fostering an environment for others to do the same. For more information on the City’s Cultural Commitments, please visit edmonton.ca/our-culture
- Demonstrate the foundational competencies, key behaviours and attributes of the City’s six leadership competencies: Courage, Inclusivity, Values-Based Influencer, Collaborative Networker, Systems Thinker and Creative Innovator. For more information on the City’s leadership competencies, please visit edmonton.ca/our-culture
- Experience with GIS/AutoCAD or with transportation modelling or simulation software would be an asset
- Please note, as part of your application, we ask that you attach an unofficial transcript, and an enrollment verification letter (indicating you are enrolled in a co-op or related post-secondary work experience degree program). Talent sourced through this process may be considered for similar opportunities within the City.
The City of Edmonton is committed to inclusive, respectful and equitable workplaces that represent the communities we serve. We continuously improve our systems, policies and practices to remove barriers and ensure our employees, in all their diversity, can succeed. We value applicants with a diverse range of skills, experiences and competencies, and encourage you to apply. To learn more, see the Art of Inclusion: Our Diversity and Inclusion Framework here: https://bit.ly/3ye6wb5
The City of Edmonton strives to provide reasonable access and accommodations throughout the application and selection process. If you would like to request an accommodation at any stage of the process, please contact [email protected].
COVID-19 Notice: The City of Edmonton has implemented a COVID 19-Vaccination Policy. Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Employees who cannot be fully vaccinated on the basis of a protected legal ground (e.g. medical, religious) may request an exemption. Please note that this policy applies to all employees, including new hires, and volunteers. If your application is successful, you will be asked to provide proof of vaccination or request an exemption.
For more information, please refer to our COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (bit.ly/3lKwb6j) and COVID-19 Vaccination Procedure (bit.ly/39BICMt).
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week, Monday - Friday
The weekly hours of work for this position are currently under review and may change at a future time. Any changes will be made in accordance with the City of Edmonton/Civic Service Union 52 collective agreement and the incumbent will be notified in advance.
Salary Range: $26.625 - $30.710 (Hourly)
Talent Diversity Consultant: JY/SG