New Job Communications Advisor In Ontario
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $44.76–$52.35 an hour
Location : Ontario
About the City of Hamilton
Contribute to the City of Hamilton, one of Canada’s largest cities - home to a diverse and strong economy, an active and inclusive community, a robust cultural and dining scene, hundreds of kilometres of hiking trails and natural beauty just minutes from the downtown core, and so much more. Join our diverse team of talented and ambitious staff who embody our values of sensational service, courageous change, steadfast integrity, collective ownership and being engaged empowered employees. Help us achieve our vision of being the best place to raise a child and age successfully. #BeTheReason
JOB ID #: 20043
NUMBER OF VACANCIES: 1 Full-Time Temporary
UNION/NON-UNION: Non Union Mgmt Professional
HOURS Of WORK: 35.00 per week
SALARY/HOUR: $44.762 - $52.350 per hour
- Note: See appropriate Collective Agreement or the Non Union Salary Range for details.
STATUS/LENGTH: Duration of term (November 2026)
Job Description ID #: 6167
Vaccine Verification – As a condition of employment you are required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated or provide proof of valid exemption satisfactory to the employer prior to your start date. You must acknowledge and agree to comply with any future vaccine policy requirements as an ongoing condition of employment at the City of Hamilton.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Reporting to the Chief of Staff and as a key member of the Mayor’s team the incumbent will be responsible for written communications, media, and issues management needs for the Office of the Mayor. In addition to ongoing administrative requirements, the incumbent will provide communications advice and counsel to the Mayor and as required act as the Mayor’s spokesperson.
Develop, produce and distribute content on various platforms, including by writing, proofreading, and undertaking the graphic design of communications and promotion tools such as, speeches, press releases, key messages, statements, advertisements, videos, presentations, webpages, tweets, articles, brochures, speaking notes, publications, targeted correspondence, biography, editorials; ensuring the excellence of all communication and promotional material.
Lead in the development and implementation of ongoing communications/promotions plan, including a social media schedule, to support the Mayor in building effective relationships with various local media outlets, community development, local foundations and other non-profit organizations; maintain a database of local media contacts complete with contact details.
Update, adjust and execute digital strategies and take charge of the quality, consistency and relevance of social media posts.
Develop and maintain a robust ethnic media strategy including both organic outreach and paid placements.
Evaluate the effectiveness of communications and promotional activities, using data and statistics to analyze gaps between objectives and results and adapt accordingly.
Ongoing media monitoring of all local, regional and national media including traditional and new media sources. Tracking trends and proactively identifying key community issues, anticipating impacts and developing strategies to address and /or manage the issue.
Responsible for maintaining and enhancing the reputation of the Mayor’s Office and the City of Hamilton - maintain a thorough and continuous awareness of City initiatives, committee meetings and agendas – monitoring issues and identifying risks and communication opportunities.
Work with the Mayor’s scheduler and advisors in preparing event agenda’s, assembling briefing notes, background information and speaking notes required for each scheduled event.
Guided by the Mayor’s priorities, manage the Mayor’s advertising and sponsorship budget.
Adhere to all communications policies such as advertising, sponsorship, and City protocols.
Attend, facilitate and monitor the Mayor’s media events and as required, attend community events with the Mayor.
Perform other duties as assigned which are directly related to the responsibilities of the position.
1. Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to adapt tone and message, the successful candidate will have demonstrated experience in public relations, or communications acquired through the completion of post-secondary education in a related discipline or a combination of experience and equivalent education. Candidates must have considerable related work experience, preferably in a political/government environment.
2. Proficiency required across a broad range of communications and public affairs disciplines including remarks and presentations, media relations, and media event co-ordination.
3. Excellent capacity to process and summarize information, grasp issues and translate direction into action.
4. Ability to communicate complex matters in a persuasive and compelling manner.
5. Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and plan, organize, and lead numerous projects simultaneously. Can perform independently, exercise initiative, and provide leadership while working within a team environment under tight deadlines.
6. A strong team player, with solid interpersonal and cooperative skills with the ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with others both internally and externally.
7. Demonstrated proficiency in the use of video, web, various social media, mass emailing and various promotional strategies and the ability to manage information utilizing the available technology in accordance with the City’s Social Media policy and procedures
8. Creative, dynamic, versatile, resourceful, organized and diplomatic personality. Posses a high level of personal integrity along with political acumen and system wide thinking.
9. Ability to work outside regular hours and travel on occasion.
10. Proficiency in Word, Excel, Microsoft Outlook, PowerPoint and Internet. Working knowledge of Desktop Publishing is an asset but not required.
This Competition may include an interview and/assessment as part of the selection process.
Job Descriptions are available on My HR Info - You may access them by logging onto My HR Info – Main Menu – Self Service – Job Opportunities – City Job Descriptions . Job descriptions are available in PDF format and are organized by department and alphabetically by title.
Be advised that Human Resources frequently audits resumes of internal/external applicants to ensure/validate information provided is consistent and trustworthy. Falsification of information provided at any time throughout the recruitment process may be grounds for disqualification, and for internal applicants, subject to discipline up to and including termination.
The City is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. Consistent with our Values and Corporate Culture Pillars, the City of Hamilton is committed to providing equitable treatment to all with respect to barrier-free employment and accommodation without discrimination. The City will provide accommodation for applicants in all aspects of the hiring process, up to the point of undue hardship. If you have an accommodation need, please contact Human Resources as soon as possible to make appropriate arrangements.
We invite you to visit the departmental webpage to obtain further information on the culture and business of this department.
The incumbent shall comply with all Health and Safety Policies and Practices for this position and the workplace.
It is the responsibility of the applicants to ensure that their application reaches Human Resources by the closing date or they may not be considered. It is also the responsibility of applicants to supply qualifications, licences and related experience relevant to the qualifications outlined above for this competition as directed. On the basis of the criteria set out above, this posting is open to all applicants
The statements made by me are true, complete and correct to the best of my knowledge. I understand that any falsification of statements, misrepresentations, deliberate omission or concealment of information may be considered just cause for discipline, up to and including termination for internal applicants and disqualification for external applicants.