New Job Administrative Assistant To City Clerk In Ontario
Administrative Assistant to City Clerk
Company : City of Cambridge
Salary : $58,203 - $70,979 a year
Location : Ontario
People, Place, Prosperity
Working within our Strategic Plan, Cambridge Connected, and committing to our values of Integrity, Respect, Inclusiveness and Service, the successful candidate will work together to help the City of Cambridge achieve our vision: A place for people to prosper – alive with opportunity.
Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement
In accordance with the City of Cambridge’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, all new City of Cambridge employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment, subject to accommodations required in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code.
The Administrative Assistant will be required to provide strategic support directly to the Director of Council and Administrative Services/City Clerk while also assisting and working with the Executive Assistant, Deputy City Manager Corporate Services and provide support to the service areas under the Department of Corporate Services portfolio. In addition to assisting in creating a supportive and efficient team environment, the goal of this position will be to maintain high customer satisfaction both internal and external. The successful candidate must have strong interpersonal skills, the ability to manage multiple tasks at once, able to work independently and experience with managing administrative responsibilities. This role has access to confidential corporate and human resource matters.
What you will be doing
- Supports the City Clerk's business schedule and anticipates needs, takes initiative to obtain details and works independently. Drafts and edits material such as presentations, spreadsheets, graphics and reports (including dissemination of confidential information) as required. Coordinates committee meetings and provides administrative support to the Director’s direct reports as required.
- Recognizes politically sensitive and/or confidential issues and brings matters to the attention of the EA and/or Director. Maintains professional discretion at all times and demonstrates the ability to triage concerns/issues and negotiates/facilitates schedule, reporting, and follow up.
- Represents the division on committees as directed and assists with reports to Council (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) compliance); assists with divisional business planning; ensures documents comply with city standards; and, meets deadlines. Liaises and exchanges information with other departments and external parties. Provides support to the Clerk (or designate) in preparing closed session (in camera) Council information.
- Participates in the annual divisional budget exercise, and works with the department EA, Clerk, and budget analyst to find explanations for variances throughout the year. Works with divisional project manager in preparing forecast change reports for capital budgets. Works with the divisional management teams in preparing budgets and reconciliations for all purchase card statements for the division and its service areas. Prepares and process payment requests for the division and its service areas. Has signing authority for the division and its service areas.
- Identifies continuous improvement opportunities in the division and promotes corporate values. Conducts research and analysis of subjects to identify and support improvement opportunities. Coordinates events related to training and information sessions for the division. Collaborates with management and supervisory staff to identify specialized training requirements.
- Acts as support on special projects as identified, tracks project schedules, task deadlines, milestones, project reports, coordinates project meetings with stakeholders and liaises with consultants and services providers as directed by the project manager. Business analytics and reporting as required.
- Provides customer service issuing marriage licensing and burial permits (vital statistics) in addition to executing documents as a Commissioner under the Commissioner for Taking Affidavits Act
- Provides backup support and assistance to the Business Compliance Licensing Officer and should have familiarity with Ontario Lottery Gaming policies and procedures as it relates to the administration of lottery licensing.
- Coordinates divisional records, reports on attendance records, updates the website, maintains regular communication with the EA in their department, and assists with the Municipal Election in accordance with the Municipal Elections Act, appointed Deputy Returning Officer.
- Backs up the Executive Assistant of the Department, as required.
Experience and Knowledge
- One year of progressively responsible and diversified administrative experience, including project coordination/management skills and good understanding of financial principles.
- Completion of, or willingness to complete, the Municipal Administration Program through Association of Municipal Clerks and Treasurers of Ontario (AMCTO).
- Advanced MS Office Skills.
- Public sector experience would be beneficial.
We will ask you for these items if you are hired
This position is within Grade 2 of the Non-Union Salary Schedule and has an annual salary range of $58,203 to $70,979. We offer a comprehensive benefit package and are an Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) employer.
Hours of work
This position is located at City Hall, Cambridge, Ontario. Hours of Work are: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (35 hours per week)
Advertisement expiration date
This posting closes on November 10, 2021.
Accommodation needs and protection of privacy
The City of Cambridge is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from all qualified individuals, and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the recruitment and hiring process.
Please contact Human Resources to make your needs known in advance, with the nature of any accommodations that you may require in respect to any materials or processes used to ensure your full and equal participation throughout the recruitment and hiring process.
Personal information collected in relation to the recruitment process is collected under the authority outlined in the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and used solely to determine eligibility for employment with the City of Cambridge only.