New Job Regional Economic Development Specialist In Alberta
|Regional Economic Development Specialist|
Regional Economic Development Specialist
Company : Government of Alberta
Salary : $5,515–$7,208 a month
Location : Alberta
Job Requisition ID: 41502
Ministry of Jobs, Economy and North Development
Location: Fort McMurray
Part time or full time work: Which one is better?
Working hours per week: 3.75 hours a week. What is the average?
Scope: Open Competition
Closing date: 2023-09-27.
Cassation: Subsidiary Program Services 4
The regional economic development function within the Regional Economic Development Services unit of the Regional and Northern Economic Development branch, provides a suite of in-market services at the community and regional level across Alberta. The unit plays a leadership role in fostering collaboration and building networks while gathering intelligence and experience across multiple economic sectors and regions, furthering local and regional efforts to advance economic development opportunities (e.g. tourism, agriculture and agri-food, Indigenous economic development).
The Regional Economic Development Specialist position reports to a Manager who reports to the Director, Regional Economic Development Services Unit. The Regional Economic Development Specialist provides program knowledge and expertise as well as some technical expertise to support the development and growth of regional economic development. The intent of the function is to assist stakeholders in capturing and benefiting from economic development opportunities. The ability to coordinate, collaborate and provide leadership to engage regional organizations and stakeholders is essential to align common elements of their vision to that of the province.
Responsibilities include enhancing capacity for economic development at the regional and local level, building strong working networks amongst regional stakeholders, maintain awareness and understanding of local opportunities and issues that impact regional economic development.
Minimum Recruitment Standard: University graduation in a related field (such as Commerce, Economics, Economic Development, Public Policy, Community or Rural Development), supplemented by a minimum of 5 years related experience, preferably in economic development, small business or entrepreneurship support, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Equivalency: Directly related experience or education considered on the basis of: one year of experience for one year of education or one year of education for one year of experience.
- Well developed interpersonal skills and the ability to engage with others.
- Extensive knowledge about economic development processes and practices.
- Extensive knowledge of public and non-profit sector programs applicable to economic development and how they apply and can benefit the region.
- Detailed knowledge of Alberta's economic base and key issues that face the local and regional economy and business communities. '
- Well-developed research, analytical and problem solving skills to interpret key economic and regional business indicators and develop appropriate responses and processes to maximize economic growth.
- Knowledge of provincial and federal laws, policy, and programs related to economic and business development.
- The knowledge of land use planning and development principles and research. Strong writing, verbal and communication skills.
** A valid class 5 driver’s license is required to travel and attend community meetings and stakeholder visits. **
We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process.
This link will assist you with understanding competencies:
- Develop Networks: Ability to foster a climate of cooperation amongst, and build solid relationships with public agencies, government, committees and other partners.
- Agility: Demonstrated ability to manage and adapt to change. Ability to manage human, financial and physical resources within an operating environment.
- Build Collaborative Environments: Strong track record in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Systems Thinking: Effective leadership abilities combined with a strong commitment to operating within a team environment and the ability to motivate and inspire other to achieve common goals.
$2,757.39 to $3,604.17 biweekly ($1,977.88 - $94,068.84/year) >
This is a permanent, full-time position working 36.25 hours per week, Monday to Friday (8:15 to 16:30). Evenings and weekends are sometimes required. A valid class 5 driver’s license is required to travel and attend community meetings and stakeholder visits.
Interviews will be held on Monday October 16, 2023 and Tuesday October 17, 2023.
In your resume, please include dates (including months and years) associated with all education and work experience. As well, please indicate whether your work experience was casual, part-time or full-time.
Any costs associated with obtaining the required documents/checks as noted or interview travel expenses, will be the responsibility of the candidate. Out-of-province applicants can obtain the required documents/checks from the province they currently reside in.
The Alberta Public Service is a great place to work!
What we offer:
- Working for the Alberta Public Service - About the Alberta public service | Alberta.ca
- Pension plan:
- Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP) - details?
- Leadership and mentorship programs
- Professional learning and development
- What is a positive workplace culture? What are the examples of this?
- Opportunity to participate in flexible work arrangements such as working from home up to two days per week and modified work schedule agreements.
- Research Alberta Public Service Careers tool?
How To Apply
If you are not currently an employee with the Government of Alberta, the first step in applying for a job is creating your candidate profile within our online application system,
Existing employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application in order to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Once you have created your candidate profile, visit the Alberta Public Service job site to apply for jobs at
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
Resources for applicants:
- How can I get a job in the Alberta Public Service?
- How do I understand the Alberta Public Service hiring process? ALIS:
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside Canada and have not been previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials by the IQAS (International Qualifications Assessment Service) in Alberta. Applicants are encouraged to include the assessment certificate from IQAS or any other educational assessment service as part of this application.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies, across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting or a copy of the role profile, and/or require a disability related accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact Ali Tarrabain at [email protected]
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check.