New Job Project Manager In Ontario
Company : City of Toronto
Salary : $112,000–$144,200 a year
Location : Ontario
Job ID: 40562
Job Category: Project Management
Division & Section: Technology Services, Architecture & Portfolio Delivery
Work Location: Metro Hall, 55 John Street
Job Type & Duration: Full-time, 3 Temporary Vacancies (12 months)
Salary: $112,000.00 - $144,200.00
Shift Information: Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week per week
Number of Positions Open: 3
Posting Period: 28-Aug-2023 to 12-Sep-2023
Toronto is home to more than 2.9 million people whose diversity and experiences make this great city Canada’s leading economic engine and one of the world’s most diverse and livable cities. As the fourth largest city in North America, Toronto is a global leader in technology, finance, film, music, culture, and innovation, and consistently places at the top of international rankings due to investments championed by its government, residents and businesses.
Leading the way in modernizing City of Toronto services via strategic investment, digital transformation and IT systems management, our Technology Services Division partners and collaborates with all City divisions (some with their own in-house IT teams), to deliver innovative IT business solutions and a secure, reliable IT infrastructure in support of City programs and services. As an experienced Project Manager, Technology Services, you’ll play a key role within the Division by providing direction, leadership and guidance to project teams and managing the design, procurement, integration and implementation of solutions that support the organization and deliver value for our clients. The City prefers to implement off the shelf solutions wherever possible, but occasionally custom developed solutions may be required. At the same time, your ‘big picture’ focus will enable you to identify and develop cross-divisional initiatives to produce synergies and economies of scale.
The City is hiring multiple project managers, ideally with experience in one of the following areas:
- Implementation and procurement of professional services to support ServiceNow IT Asset, Strategic Portfolio, and Business Continuity Management capabilities
- Procurement and Implementation of a Document management solution focussed on supporting business operations for a large Legal team
Having managed all aspects of transformational enterprise-wide IT projects in complex, multi-departmental environments, you’re well prepared to develop, design and implement functional policies and programs for major business transformation and performance improvement projects based on the City's strategic directions and business long-term needs. This will include determining project requirements, conducting research and evaluations, preparing and executing RFPs, obtaining all approvals and signoffs, and developing, managing, and reporting on detailed project plans of varying levels of complexity.
Your strengths as a manager of people and resources will be evident as you lead teams of technical staff, client representatives, contractors, consultants, vendors and other intra/interdivisional stakeholders to implement projects effectively. We’ll rely on you to lead and manage the development of detailed scope requirements, budgeting, resource management, planning and scheduling, progress monitoring and reporting, manage and mitigate issues and risks, and review, prepare and execute change requests. This all-encompassing project management role will see you leading, participating in, overseeing, or carrying out the preparation of project budgets and providing financial management such as sole source requests, contract negotiations, leasing agreements, business cases, and feasibility and cost/benefit analyses.
A certified Project Management Professional, you’ll confidently lead, facilitate, and contribute to the design, creation, development and sustainment of corporate standards for Technology Services, including formalized project management methodology, change management, application development and migration, as well as oversee, participate in, or support project staff recruitment, training and supervision. Your technical expertise will prove equally valuable as you inform and educate senior managers, business users and technology peers on technology trends, and the effective use of business and technology solutions and information management.
- Leads and manages technology projects in all stages of the project lifecycle to support the organization and deliver value to our clients.
- Leads and manages in the development of detailed scope requirements, budgeting, resource management, planning and scheduling, procurement, monitoring and reporting progress; managing and mitigating issues and risks; reviewing, preparing and executing change requests.
- Develops, manages and reports on detailed project plans of varying levels of complexity that make major business transformations. Leads, facilitates and contributes to the design, creation, development and sustainment of corporate standards for Technology Services, including formalized project management methodology, change management, application development and migration.
- Manages all aspects of assigned projects, including the project charter, project plan and schedule, progress, budget, risk management, issue management,
- Manages and administers consultant/contractors and projects/contracts, implements quality assurance/quality control procedures, authorize payments and recommends additional payments in accordance with the City's financial authority and by-laws or contract terms.
- Leads, participates in or oversees the preparation of or prepares project budgets and provides financial management such as sole source requests; contract negotiations; leasing agreements; business cases; feasibility and cost/benefit analysis.
- Leads, participates in or oversees the preparation of or prepares and/or supervises the preparation of various formal contractual documents such as: Request for Expression of Interest (REOI), Request for Information/Proposal/Quotation/Resource (RFI/P/Q/R), ITAPP, Statement of Work (SOW), Memorandum Of Understanding (MOU) and Service Level Agreements (SLA).
- Reviews, tracks, evaluates and reports on consultant and/or contractor progress, expenditures and performance to ensure adherence to project schedule, budget, scope, and contract terms.
- Develops, designs and implements functional policies and programs for major business transformation and performance improvement based on City's strategic directions and business long-term needs.
- Manages, motivates and trains the unit's staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others.
- Supervises the day to day operation of all assigned staff including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work. Authorizes and controls vacation and overtime requests. Monitors and evaluates staff performance, approves salary increments and recommends disciplinary action when necessary.
- Develops, recommends and administers the annual budget for the project(s), and ensures that the unit's expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- change management, resource management, quality review/best practices.
- Oversees, participates or supports in recruitment selection, training and supervision of assigned project staff.
- Provides leadership in the evaluation, selection and recommendation of technical solutions and professional services; manages vendors and contractors in the overall solution delivery process.
- Identifies and develops cross divisional initiatives to produce synergies and economies of scale.
- Negotiates with executives and senior management, clients and various stakeholders often with competing and conflicting goals, objectives and priorities.
- Negotiates and documents project changes involving scope, timelines, and budget.
- Adheres to the principles of the Project Management Institute (PMI) and PMI's Code of Ethics and Professional Conducts to develop and organize project protocols, procedures, relationships, and performance objectives to promote and achieve targets.
- Promotes standardization in areas relating to project administration, documentation, progress tracking and technical designs.
- Assesses and recommends scalable multi-jurisdictional business and technical solutions that meet client and business requirements in the context of corporate standards, policies and procedures for information technologies and architectures. Determines requirements, conducts research and evaluations and obtains all approvals and signoffs.
- Informs and educates senior managers, business users and technology peers on technology trends, and the effective use of business and technology solutions and information management.
Among the strengths you bring to the role of Project Manager, Technology Services will be the following key qualifications:
- Post-secondary education in Computer Science or a related discipline (or an equivalent combination of education and experience).
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification is an asset
- Extensive experience managing all aspects of transformational enterprise-wide IT projects in complex, multi-departmental environments (including budget and timeline management, scope management, estimating and managing project resources, risk management, issues management, organizational change management, timely decision-making, critical path identification, business transformation, data transformation/migration, user experience optimization, Business Continuity Management, Disaster Recovery, etc.).
- Experience implementing either: 1) ServiceNow IT Asset, Strategic Portfolio, or Business Continuity Management modules; or 2) Document management systems supporting Legal business operations would be an asset.
- Considerable experience with contract negotiations, procurement procedures and Vendor and Contract Management.
- Experience working in a matrix project management environment using tools such as Microsoft Enterprise Project Management, SharePoint, or other equivalent project schedule and project document management tools.
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM) certification is considered an asset.
- ITIL Foundations V3 or V4 certification is preferred.
- Experience managing implementation projects using the ServiceNow platform is a definite asset
- Experience managing projects in the ITIL IT Asset Management, Demand Management, or Project Portfolio Management workspace is a definite asset.
- Experience managing projects in the Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery workstreams is a definite asset.
Nice to have
- Demonstrated knowledge of using project management tools for planning and implementing complex projects and packages.
- Ability to manage large-scale multi-divisional technology projects.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills including ability to effectively communicate project status to multiple streams of Executive and Senior management, business and technical stakeholders for assigned projects.
- Excellent people management skills and experience working with, and managing, technical project teams in application development, implementation of infrastructure solutions.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.