New Job Geotechnical Engineer In Northwest Territories
Company : De Beers Group of Companies
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Northwest Territories
They don’t get much deeper.
You communicate openly and enjoy being part of a fantastic team with an unwavering commitment to safety. Come and join us working at Gahcho Kué, one of the world’s greatest mines.
We’re the world’s leading diamond company – a unique luxury business that thrives on the creativity, passion and knowledge of our people.
To push our company forwards, we always need to think differently. We welcome diverse perspectives, people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions.
In return, we provide you with the space and support to grow and achieve your ambitions.
-This position is instrumental in ensuring the overall and long-term safety of the mine. This will be accomplished through the implementation, co-ordination and control of geotechnical services and functions that ensure the safe and effective recovery of the mineable reserve. Using data and sound technical principles of the discipline, the ideal candidate will be prepared to support and drive their recommendations, while working with stakeholders to achieve the best path forward. The role is well suited to one who has a keen eye for continuous improvement opportunities, is analytical, can quickly build relationships with the mine operations team, and who is committed to safe work practices, while striving for zero harm.
Rewards & Benefits:
- Earn up to a 9% company contribution to your pension plan;
- Relocation support is available to anyone who wishes to move to the Northwest Territories;
- Annual bonus program;
- MyShare program;
- Remote Living Allowance;
- Travel Allowance to offset the costs of getting to the nearest point of pick up;
- Immediate participation in our 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefit program (no waiting period);
- The Gahcho Kué Mine camp features a full service dining room, individual private bedrooms equipped with satellite cable television, telephones and WiFi internet. There’s also a full-sized gymnasium, squash courts and state of the art fitness equipment; and
- Work under the Northern Lights.
- Promoting, supporting and implementing sound safety, health, and environmental management practices in line with legislation and mine policies and procedures;
- Providing geotechnical oversight to mining operations ensuring compliance to regulations and standards;
- Interpreting Groundprobe Slope Stability Radar data and providing feedback to stakeholders in terms of wall stability and hazard mitigation;
- Complete daily inspections and conduct field repairs of Geotechnical monitoring equipment;
- Installation of monitoring equipment to support Geotechnical investigations.
- Interpreting geotechnical and hydrogeological monitoring data, reporting on findings and flagging any issues;
- Regularly inspect open pit operations to maintain compliance to design parameters and providing recommendations to the operations team to maintain high wall safety.
- Provide geotechnical input on mine design revisions, drill and blast plans and short to mid-term mine planning.
- Liaise with consultants on more complex Geotechnical projects;
- Maintaining geotechnical and hydrogeological models and databases;
- Establishing cause of failure and providing recommendations to address issues; and,
- Conducting audits to ensure compliance with standards and specifications.
Reporting to the Technical Services Superintendent, the role resides within the Technical Services department. This is a site- based position working a multi-week rotation that balances time at site, with time off site.
- -Legally permitted to work in Canada;
- Geotechnical Engineering degree;
- Possess a Professional Engineering designation, with eligibility to register as a Professional Engineer in the Northwest Territories;
- Minimum three years of relevant mining experience from an open pit mining environment preferred;
- Geotechnical software (Deswik, Rocscience, Remining) preferred;
- Must have strong geotechnical skills with sound principles in rock mechanics;
- Well versed with the identification of geotechnical and hydrogeological risks;
- Experience with geotechnical modelling;
- Experience with geotechnical pit slope monitoring instrumentation (Groundprobe; Navstar)
- Ability to manage and communicate in a stressful, dynamic Geotechnical environment with Safety as the priority;
- Ability to simplify complex datasets and present them comprehensibly to relevant stakeholders; and
- Ready to work in remote camp setting.
This opportunity is open to relocation support for anyone relocating to the Northwest Territories.
Referral incentive applicable : This opportunity is open to a paid referral incentive according to the Employee Referral Policy (HRM.AD.21.00). Referral incentives are applicable to De Beers Group internal employees only.
-Who We Are: De Beers Canada
Active in Canada for over 60 years, we are part of De Beers Group, the world's leading diamond company. Globally, we are a team of more than 20,000 people, with operations in Canada, Botswana, Namibia, and South Africa, and activities across the diamond value chain from exploration to diamond jewelry retail. Our unwavering focus on sustainability and Building Forever fuels our commitment to advance standards across the diamond industry, protect the natural world, partner with local communities, and accelerate economic inclusion to support diversity in our business and beyond.
In Canada, we have more than 600 employees working at offices in Calgary, Toronto and Yellowknife, actively exploring for new diamond opportunities, recovering diamonds at the joint venture Gahcho Kué mine in the Northwest Territories, and closing and rehabilitating two mines. We are also advancing the Chidliak Project to establish a technologically advanced diamond mine on Baffin Island using FutureSmart Mining™ principles.
At De Beers, we believe in the power of working in partnership with communities to create lasting, positive impacts that endure long after we recover the last diamond. Our inclusive and diverse workplace values mining with respect for the environment and nearby communities, and we seek team players who share our passion for Making Life Brilliant.
Safety first is a way of life for us. We are unconditional about the safety, health and well-being of our colleagues, at work and at home, and about that of the communities where we work. We aim to lead the industry by investing in innovation to protect people, who are at the heart of our business. Our high performing teams take accountability for their own and others' actions, work collaboratively, and always show care and respect .
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI)
As a global #HeForShe Thematic Champion, De Beers is committed to promoting an equitable, inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are. We provide equality of opportunity to enable everyone to fulfil their potential. Please inform us should there be any special requirements that should be considered as part of your application.
Sustainability is at the heart of our decision-making – it is how we do business. Building Forever is key to our purpose as it represents our ambitious and holistic sustainability framework and is central to our ability to deliver long-term value to our communities and partners. This shapes how we protect our social and environmental license to operate, build a long-term legacy in our host communities and earn consumers’ trust in our diamonds that they can wear with pride.
Successful candidates will be required to complete background screening which may include a criminal check and validation of qualifications
Referral incentive applicable : This opportunity is open to a paid referral incentive according to the Program (HRM.AD.21.01) . Referral incentives are applicable to De Beers Group internal employees only.