New Job Billing Clerk In Nova Scotia
Company : Dalhousie University - Anesthesia, Pain Management and Perioperative Medicine Administration inc.
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Nova Scotia
Full-time, permanent position
Partial remote work
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Anesthesia, Pain Management and Perioperative Medicine (APMPM) Administration Inc. with Dalhousie University serving as pay administrator (paymaster)
We are a non-profit physician corporation affiliated with Dalhousie University, Nova Scotia Health (Central Zone) and the IWK Health. We support a large clinical and academic department that provides anesthesia patient care, educates students and medical residents, and conducts impactful research in the fields of anesthesia, pain management and perioperative medicine. We are seeking a highly motivated individual to support the medical billing functions of the Department. Competitive salary, and Dalhousie 'associated-employee' benefits provided (https://www.dal.ca/dept/hr/Total-Compensation/Benefits/associated-employees.html).
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer and working closely with the Billing Officers and finance staff, the Billing Clerk provides administrative and clerical support for the anesthesia billing office. The position enters medical billing data and prepares and submits accurate and timely patient billing information to the Province of Nova Scotia (MSI) for the insured medical services delivered by Department's anesthesiologists. This includes data entry into a billing software program, medical coding of procedures and submission of claims. The position also assists, as required, in the invoice issuance, processing and monitoring of billings to patients for private, non-insured services and for those services paid by third parties.
- Review patient case and medical intervention/procedure information for anesthesia services delivered by anesthesiologists and pain physicians in the Central Zone.
- Code for billing purposes, ensuring all procedures/cases are billed at the highest appropriate unit value allowed for anesthesia as per MSI manual.
- Enter timely and accurate billings data into the software program, submit shadow billing claims electronically to MSI and follow up on any adjudication issues arising.
- Liaise with physicians and other administrative personnel, regarding outstanding case information.
- Effectively and confidentially utilize hospital clinical systems as required as per privacy requirements.
- Support the Senior Clerk as required to prepare and submit invoices for non-insured services to patients and/or third parties such as insurance companies and the military and follow up on any issues. Maintain and monitor records for all third-party and uninsured services billings and invoices, and follow-up on collection, liaising with Finance office as required.
- Communicate professionally and diplomatically, when required, with patients virtually when dealing with private billing payments for various un-insured medical procedures.
- Contribute to the development of billing policies, procedures and guidelines for effective management of billing processes, reporting and record-keeping.
- Undergraduate degree or Business/Office Administration diploma (or equivalent combination of training and experience).
- Three to five years' experience working in office administration, preferably in healthcare setting.
- Very efficient data entry and keyboarding skills.
- A high degree of accuracy and strong attention to detail for data entry purposes, including critical thinking with the ability to multi-task.
- Strong computer skills, and proficiency in office management systems such as Microsoft 365 is required. ACCURO software experience is a strong asset.
- Ability to maintain patient privacy and confidentiality.
- Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically with other employees, physicians and patients.
- Medical terminology certificate would be an asset.
Location of Work: The main office is located within the QEII Health Sciences Centre, Victoria General Hospital site, 10th floor, 1276 South Park St, Halifax. Partial remote work arrangements are possible. Proof of Covid vaccination required as per Nova Scotia Health policies.
If you are interested in pursuing this opportunity, please submit your resume and a cover letter to [email protected] by Monday, September 11, 2023.
APMPM Administration Inc. welcomes applicants from Indigenous persons, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, women, persons of a minority sexual orientation and/or gender identity, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community. If you are a member of one of the equity groups, you are encouraged to self- identify on either your cover letter or resume.