New Job Senior Architectural Technologist In Ontario
|Senior Architectural Technologist|
Senior Architectural Technologist
Company : City of Cambridge
Salary : $94,155–$100,071 a year
Location : Ontario
People, Place, Prosperity
Working within our Strategic Plan, Cambridge Connected, and committing to our values of Integrity, Respect, Inclusiveness and Service, the successful candidate will work together to help the City of Cambridge achieve our vision: A place for people to prosper – alive with opportunity.
There is an opening for a Senior Architectural Technologist within the Corporate Enterprise Department, Sustainable Design & Development Division. This position is responsible for managing all new construction, additions and renovation/improvements to municipal buildings from initial needs, assessment to client occupancy including deficiency completion. Reporting to the Manager of Building Design & Construction, the following duties will apply:
What you will be doing
- Identifies buildings for renovation projects including heritage buildings (on site)
- Identifies opportunities for specific budget saving measures in buildings (on site)
- Represents the Division on the various boards and committees of internal & external organizations, associations and government partners
- Provides training to employees of the Sustainable Design & Development Division through productive training , with personal integrity and actions
- Project Management throughout the feasibility study, design development, tendering, construction, and commissioning phases of projects
- Develops and execute detailed project plans to deliver high quality projects including comprehensive schedules, communication plans and critical path milestones and monitors for continuous improvement
- Project review of current projects (i.e. ,costing, problem solving, changes, invoices, reports)
- Construction site inspections, construction site meetings, construction reviews (on site)
- Meeting scheduling, cost monitoring, changes to base contracts, negotiates extra costs, COs, specs & drawings
- Process payment, invoice payments, e-mails/phone calls, training other staff
- Monthly Forecasting changes/Divisional forecasting meetings, meetings with the supervisor
- Progress draws invoice review and approval
- Prepares and/or approves technical contract specs and drawings for quotations/tenders
- Bidders’ meetings, design and construction meetings, site visits and reviews
- Estimates project costs based on final designs, extra costs
- Prepares assessments, does researches, estimating for future capital and operating budget
- Reports to Council
- Reviews projects for information to be included 'OnPoint'
- This position is very adaptable, it includes a wide range of projects from design/construction of municipal buildings ranging in cost from $50,000 to multi-million dollar
Undergraduate degree in Architecture or equivalent level of education and experience, including heritage buildings
Ongoing Continuing education of building systems, construction, heritage building conservation, building codes, accessibility laws, LEED's requirements and all Provincial and Municipal regulations.
Experience and Knowledge
Minimum 3-4 years related experience. Extensive knowledge of heritage buildings, Standards and Guidelines for the Conservation of Historic Places in Canada, Ontario Heritage Act (OHA), the Eight Guiding Principles in the Conservation of Historic Properties (Ontario Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport), the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its Regulations, the Construction Lien Act, The National Fire Code, Ontario Building Code, Construction Standard Association, Heritage Conservation techniques, previous estimating, project management of building projects and on site detailed reviews in a practical setting. Projects involve reading and interpreting policy and procedure manuals, planning, forecasting, safety, municipal environment, ability to make presentations to public, user groups and senior staff and media, funding policies. Professional judgement acquired through training and experience. Provides professional expert advice and recommendations in relation to the identification of project opportunities, innovative technologies, solution development.
This position is within Grade of the Inside Workers union salary schedule, the annual salary range is $94,155 to $100,071
Comprehensive benefits package included and Enrolment in Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS).
Location of position
This position is located at City Hall, Cambridge , Ontario
Hours of work
The current regular hours of work are in accordance with the collective agreement, however currently are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (35 hours per week) Monday to Friday.
Advertisement expiration date
This posting closes on September 7, 2023.
Accommodation needs and protection of privacy
The City of Cambridge is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from all qualified individuals, and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the recruitment and hiring process.
Please contact Human Resources to make your needs known in advance, with the nature of any accommodations that you may require in respect to any materials or processes used to ensure your full and equal participation throughout the recruitment and hiring process.
Personal information collected in relation to the recruitment process is collected under the authority outlined in the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and used solely to determine eligibility for employment with the City of Cambridge only.