New Job Security Guard In Alberta
Company : City of Calgary
Salary : $29.41–$39.30 an hour
Location : Alberta
If you are committed to public service, enjoy collaborating with others, share our values and have a desire to learn and grow, join The City of Calgary. City employees deliver the services, run the programs and operate the facilities which make a difference in our community. We support work-life balance, promote physical and psychological safety, and offer competitive wages, pensions, and benefits. Together we make Calgary a great place to make a living, a great place to make a life.
The City is committed to fostering a respectful, inclusive and equitable workplace which is representative of the community we serve. We welcome those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, inclusion, anti-racism and reconciliation. Applications are encouraged from members of groups that are historically disadvantaged and underrepresented. Accommodations are available during the hiring process, upon request.
As a Security Guard, you will enforce and follow procedures as well as protect City of Calgary assets (including people, information, facilities and equipment). Primary duties include:
Operate and monitor video surveillance systems and intrusion alarm systems.
Monitor, respond to and report life safety and maintenance systems on issues and incidents.
Provide initial response to all security-related situations.
Conduct site specific visitor management and access control requirements.
Perform general administration duties, including report writing, data entry, word processing, and telephone/reception duties.
Perform foot and mobile patrol duties, as required.
- You must have 1 of the following combinations of education and/or experience prior to starting work:
- A High School diploma or equivalency (e.g. GED), plus at least 3 years of security-related experience; OR
- A completed 1 year certificate in Criminology, Policing Studies, Justice Studies, Law or related field with at least 1 year security related experience; OR
- A completed 2 year diploma in any of the fields noted above with less than 1 year security related experience; OR
- A degree in any of the fields noted above.
- A valid Security Guard License issued by the Alberta Solicitor General's Office.
- Current Standard First Aid, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Level 'C', and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) certification.
- A valid Class 5 Driver's License (or provincial equivalent) with no more than 6 demerits or Graduated Driver's License (GDL) with no more than 4 demerits, no current suspensions or charges pending is required.
- Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, and Excel) and Internet Explorer, and a minimum typing speed of 30 words per minute.
- You have well-developed interpersonal, problem solving and communication skills, along with the ability to work effectively with employees and the public at all levels.
Working Conditions: This position is physically demanding, including: lifting up to 75 lbs, bending, crouching, pulling, twisting, turning, and riding; frequent walking and climbing stairs; and performing duties and/or driving for 12 hour shifts in varying weather conditions. The ability to work under stressful conditions and interact with confrontational persons is required.
An enhanced security clearance will be conducted.
Applicants will be tested for appropriate skills.
Must obtain a City of Calgary operator's permit.
Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications. Education obtained from out of country must have, or be able to obtain, an Education Credential Assessment (ECA) for confirmation of equivalent credentials.
Note: Successful applicants will be required to complete a comprehensive training program.
Pre-employment Drug Test: An offer of employment for this position will be conditional on an applicant passing a pre-employment drug test. This test assesses for use of drugs including cannabis. Failure to pass a pre-employment drug test may prevent an applicant from being hired into any safety sensitive position for a period of up to twelve months.
Union: CUPE Local 38
Business Unit: Corporate Security
Position Type: 11 Permanent and 4 Temporary (up to
Compensation: Pay Grade 5 $29.41 - 39.30 per hour
Days of Work: Based on a 24 hour operation, days
of work will include days, evenings, weekends and
Hours of work: Non-standard 40 hour work week
Apply By: September 7, 2023
Job ID #: 308255