New Job Second Birth Attendant In Yukon
|Second Birth Attendant|
Second Birth Attendant
Company : Yukon Government
Salary : $48.96–$56.79 an hour
Location : Yukon
This posting is to fill 8 casual positions.
The Yukon Midwifery Program is seeking Registered Nurses to support out-of-hospital birth in the role of Second Birth Attendant. Second Birth Attendants will work within their scope of practice to provide on-call clinical care and support during labour, birth, and the immediate post partum alongside a Registered Midwife for out-of-hospital births. If desired, Second Birth Attendants can further contribute to the Yukon Midwifery Program’s service provision by supporting the development and facilitation of various educational and support-based prenatal and post partum programs.
Second Birth Attendants will have access to relevant training opportunities and flexibility in scheduling. Second Birth Attendants are eligible for standby pay for hours spent on-call.
Yukon’s Midwifery Program
The overall goal of the Yukon Midwifery Program is to create access to safe, sustainable, and person-centred midwifery care with a focus on informed choice. Essential to the provision of midwifery care is the offering of choice of birthplace to eligible clients. To enhance the safety of this option, two trained, recognized health care professionals are required to be present at all out-of-hospital births. By expanding our clinical staff to include Second Birth Attendants, we hope to improve the availability of this option within the territory.
The Yukon Midwifery Program seeks to provide care that addresses the social determinants of health. All program staff will ensure consistent and high-quality culturally safe, relationship-based services that contribute to the achievement of optimal maternal and child health outcomes for the program’s clientele. Second Birth Attendants will be responsible for supporting a practice environment that is inclusive, non-discriminatory, and physically, psychologically, and culturally safe.
The Yukon Midwifery Program is also looking to expand services to the public by offering prenatal and post partum programming, which may include out-of-hospital birth information sessions, prenatal education, breastfeeding drop-in support, and post partum support groups. Second Birth Attendants will have the opportunity to contribute to the development and facilitation of these programs if desired.
For more information about this position, please contact Kayla Gagnon, A/Clinical Manager Yukon Midwifery Program at: [email protected]
For more information about the recruitment process, please contact Leah Berman, HR Consultant at: [email protected]
Please submit your resume clearly demonstrating how you meet the following qualifications. Please note selection for further consideration will be based solely on the information you provide in your resume.
- Baccalaureate in Nursing
- Registered Nurse, in good standing with the YRNA or eligible for registration with YRNA
- Experience working within multidisciplinary care teams
- Experience working in public health, maternity, or another related clinical environment
- Experience responding to obstetrical emergencies and neonatal resuscitation is considered an asset (additional training will be provided as needed)
Candidates who meet education and good standing with YRNA and transferable skills may be considered
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Suitability
Candidates should have and may be assessed on:
- Ability to collaborate and develop strong relationships with a diverse array of clients and stakeholders
- Excellent critical thinking and decision-making skills
- Effective clinical communication and documentation
- Ability to research, review, and evaluate current principles and practices to ensure current, evidence-based approaches to clinical practice and programming
- Ability to provide strong clinical oversight with a focus on quality care and service delivery
- Ability to increase personal effectiveness through self-reflection, lived experience, and ongoing professional development
Conditions of Employment
- Valid Class 5 Drivers Licence
- Recent TB screening (completed within the past 2 years or within 3 months of hire)
- Proof of required degree or certificate
- Proof of registration with YRNA
- Current satisfactory Criminal Record Check (including Vulnerable Sector Search)
- Current certificates in CPR-BLS and neonatal resuscitation within 6 months of hire
- Ability to be on call for specified scheduled times to attend out-of-hospital births within Whitehorse and surrounding areas
To learn more why the Yukon Government is recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, please see the following link: here